Firefighters called to Cambridge John Lewis

PUBLISHED: 13:21 23 February 2017 | UPDATED: 13:22 23 February 2017

Firefighter jackets waiting for the next deployment.

Firefighter jackets waiting for the next deployment.

southerlycourse

An electrical fire was sparked in the middle of the night.

Crews were called at 12.17am this morning to an automatic fire alarm coming from the Clarins Day Spa next to John Lewis in Cambridge.

On arrival it was discovered this was a fire. Although the fire was contained to a room within the day spa, a sprinkler head had activated in the John Lewis store.

While some firefighters dealt with the fire, others began a salvage operation to remove stock from the basement of John Lewis to prevent it from being damaged by water.

Three crews – two from Cambridge and one from Cottenham – dealt with the incident using hose reels and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke.

The fire was accidental, caused by an electrical fault. Crews had all returned to their stations by 4.50am.

comments powered by Disqus

More news stories

Live Traffic Map

Most read stories

Image alt text goes here

Find the perfect role for you – or advertise a vacancy

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Search for your next home – and read our sparkling content

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Share your news, pictures and videos with us

Find out more