False alarm respondents find collapsed man
PUBLISHED: 13:48 29 September 2016 | UPDATED: 13:50 29 September 2016
Smoke alarm volume triggers man’s collapse
A Fire and Rescue crew from Cambridge was called out to investigate a smoke alarm at Elsworth House nurses’ accommodation at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, but ended up helping someone who had collapsed.
The original call proved to be a false alarm, but whilst there firefighters administered first aid and an oxygen mask to a male casualty who had collapsed because the volume of the alarm had affected his tinnitus.
Firefighters waited with the man until paramedics arrived and returned to their station by 11.47pm.
Crew Commander Simon Muir, from Cambridge Station, said: “It was a bit of a shock to see someone collapse like that but it’s always nice to be able to help someone even when you’re not expecting to.”