The fire service says a blaze at a community centre in Fulbourn was caused accidentally

PUBLISHED: 10:25 30 April 2018

Fire crews respond to a building fire in Fulbourn

Fire crews respond to a building fire in Fulbourn

ILIFFE

Two fire crews from Cambridge were called to a fire in an outbuilding at Fulbourn’s community centre in the early hours of Friday morning (April 27).

The emergency services were called to deal with the fire, which is believed to have been caused accidently, at a derelict pavilion at the centre off Home End at 3.08am.

A Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue spokesperson said: “On Friday (27) two crews from Cambridge were called to a building fire in Fulbourn.

“Crews arrived to find a fire in a derelict pavilion. Wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters used three jets and two hose reels to extinguish the fire, followed by a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke. All crews returned to their stations by 11am.”

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.

The centre was created in 2006 following a refurbishment to the Townley Memorial Hall.

It is used by a number of different organisations including Splitz, the theatre group, who regularly perform at Her Majesty’s Theatre in London.

The venue includes meeting rooms and the Fulbourn Institute Sports and Social Club, with a fully licensed bar and catering facilities.

The extent of the damage is being assessed but is not thought to have affected the main hall.

comments powered by Disqus

More news stories

Live Traffic Map

Most read stories

Image alt text goes here

Find the perfect role for you – or advertise a vacancy

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Search for your next home – and read our sparkling content

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Share your news, pictures and videos with us

Find out more