Matt Foy strikes to take Cambridge City to victory over Weymouth

PUBLISHED: 17:28 31 January 2017 | UPDATED: 17:28 31 January 2017

Matt Foy has scored three goals in two games for Cambridge City

Matt Foy has scored three goals in two games for Cambridge City

Richard Marsham - RMG Photography Tel - 07798 758711

Three goals in two games for on-loan striker

Matt Foy’s poaching instincts helped Cambridge City earn a 2-1 win over Weymouth to move out of the Evo-Stik League Southern, Premier Division relegation places.

City were the dominant side throughout the game, and only looked susceptible to the occasional counter-attack from the visitors.

But it was one such counter that led to Weymouth taking the lead as in the sixth minute former Football League striker Stuart Fleetwood got into a channel on the City left and angled a shot across keeper Dean Snedker and in at the far post.

It was perhaps a little shake-up for the hosts, and they then stamped their authority on the game, which may not have shown on the score line but a look at the nine corners in City’s favour showed where the game was being played.

However, the only save Tom McHale had to make in the Weymouth goal was from a nicked Harry Norman cross.

After the break, City continued on the front foot and they were level after 49 minutes as Norman’s deflected effort reached the back post where Darren Foxley headed home.

Substitute Salim Relizani almost gave City the lead with his first touch, as the midfielder’s 25-yard free kick hit the bar.

But he did have a say in the winning goal, with his shot being saved by McHale but Foy was alert and quickest to the rebound to turn the ball home.

There was no let-up in City’s dominance and they should have wrapped up the match in the 90th minute when Relizani was fouled in the area, but Ryan Sharman’s penalty was saved by McHale.

And two minutes later they had their hearts in the mouths as from a rare venture into the area, Weymouth’s Dean Evans poked a shot from an angle past Snedker but it hit the post and bounced out, and Fleetwood was then crowded out on the rebound.

So the second victory in three days lifted City out of the relegation spots.

Cambridge City: Snedker, Robinson, Cooper, Norman, Gent, Williams, Snaith, Paterson, Capela, Foy, Foxley.

Substitutes: Relizani (Snaith, 56), Osei (Capela, 83), Sharman (Foy, 87). Subs not used: Woolfe, Harradine.

Weymouth: McHale, Wells, Wannell, Zubar, Down, Evans, Copp, Allen, Fleetwood, Davis, Shepherd.

Substitutes: Yetton (Allen, 66), Molesley (Copp, 76). Subs not used: Matthews.

Referee: Alistair Wilson.

Attendance: 210.

comments powered by Disqus

More news stories

Live Traffic Map

Most read stories

Image alt text goes here

Find the perfect role for you – or advertise a vacancy

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Search for your next home – and read our sparkling content

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Share your news, pictures and videos with us

Find out more