Cambridge Nomads set the pace in East Men’s Hockey League

PUBLISHED: 07:05 18 October 2018

Action from Cambridge Nomads II. Picture: Ben Freeman

Action from Cambridge Nomads II. Picture: Ben Freeman


But Cambridge South are in hot pursuit in Division 2N

Action from Cambridge Nomads II. Picture: Ben FreemanAction from Cambridge Nomads II. Picture: Ben Freeman

Cambridge Nomads and Cambridge South continue to set the pace at the top of the East Men’s League, Division 2N.

Nomads made it four wins out of four by beating Bourne Deeping II 3-2.

In an end-to-end game, they took the lead midway through the half as Martin Hamon set up Rich Lloyd to score.

Hamon was played through by Alex James to make it 2-0 just after half time, but Bourne finally found a way past Ethan Brown, who had made some vital saves in the first half, to reduce the arrears.

Action from Cambridge Nomads II. Picture: Ben FreemanAction from Cambridge Nomads II. Picture: Ben Freeman

Hamon got a second for Nomads to make it 3-1, but Bourne made it a close final few minutes by pulling back a second.

South kept up the pressure in second place with a 5-1 win over Norwich Dragons.

They fell behind for the first time this season as the Dragons opened the scoring through a penalty corner, but they were back on level terms after Ollie Lamming’s break led to Owen Harrison tapping home.

South upped the gears after half time, with Tom Kemsley scoring a drag flick from a penalty corner and Harrison deflecting home Lamming’s centre.

Kemsley had his second of the day after a reverse-stick strike and Lamming got the fifth following another flowing move.

Goals from Ash Artaman and Jack Chalk enabled South II to end Kettering II’s 100 per cent start in Division 4NW with a 2-1 win.

Artaman got the first from a penalty corner inside the opening minute, and it stayed 1-0 at half time.

Jack Chalk’s penalty stroke was saved and it looked costly as Kettering equalised three minutes later.

But Chalk redeemed himself by scoring the winner after good work on the wing by James Menzies.

A number of illness-related late drop-outs led to South III losing 8-0 to league leaders Long Sutton II in 4NW.

The sterling defensive efforts of Matt Kern, Ali Edge and keeper George Toynton could not stop Sutton making it 5-0 by half time. South had their own chances, earning nine penalty corners during the match but they could not get a consolation.

Nomads II produced a second-half comeback to beat Bourne Deeping II 6-1 in 4NW.

They were 1-0 adrift at half time, but turned it round to score six unanswered second-half goals.

George Slicock opened the floodgates, and as their dominance grew, Zinny Longson grabbed two and Max Standing, Paul Matthews and Sugi Furuta got one apiece to complete the win.

South IV suffered a final quarter turnaround to lose 2-1 to Louth in 5NW.

In the top-of-the-table clash, South became the first team to score against Louth this season as Jimmy Wood and Oli Scott exchanged passes for the latter to sweep home.

It was in the last quarter when Louth hit back, with an unfortunate deflection over keeper Matt Saint-Gower helping them draw level, and then a sucker punch on the counter-attack led to the winner.

There was also defeat for South V, as they went down 4-0 at St Ives IV in 6NW (S). Trailing 2-0 at the break, South were more competitive in the second half as Garth Wells was named man of the match for his midfield work.

Nathanael Farrant scored twice for Cambridge City as they lost 3-2 at Brighton & Hove in the Men’s Hockey League, Conference East.

comments powered by Disqus

More news stories

Live Traffic Map

Most read stories

Image alt text goes here

Find the perfect role for you – or advertise a vacancy

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Search for your next home – and read our sparkling content

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Share your news, pictures and videos with us

Find out more