Cambridge United and Colchester United battle out a goalless draw

PUBLISHED: 16:58 01 January 2018 | UPDATED: 17:28 01 January 2018

Jevani Brown went the closest to break the deadlock for Cambridge United at Colchester United.

Jevani Brown went the closest to break the deadlock for Cambridge United at Colchester United.

Iliffe Media Ltd

U’s produce good display at the Weston Homes Community Stadium

Cambridge United and Colchester United could not find a way to break each other down as they battled out a 0-0 draw at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

It was a tough match between two sides seeking to get into the Sky Bet League Two play-offs, with both teams having to work very hard to fashion clear-cut chances.

It was a proper battle of the midfields in the first half, with the middle third of the pitch the most congested and seeing most of the action.

That said, it was Colchester that went closest to breaking the deadlock, not before the U’s had the first real chance of the game though.

Jake Carroll’s deep cross to the back post was met by Uche Ikpeazu, but he put his effort over the bar.

In the 13th minute, Colchester’s Drey Wright controlled a ball on his chest in the area and his effort on the turn hit the side netting.

Mikael Mandron flicked on a low throw, and Frankie Kent’s effort went wide, while Wright then had a shot straight at U’s keeper David Forde after being put through by Tom Lapslie.

And the only other effort of note in the first half was again from Wright, but this time his chance went straight at Forde and as the teams went in at half time, it felt that any likely winner would have to get the upper hand in midfield.

It was United that gained the ascendancy in the second half, pegging Colchester back for long periods.

They were piling on the pressure in and around the hosts’ area, but were just lacking that final touch.

The first opening of note came after a strong run to the edge of the box by Ikpeazu, who then slipped in Jevani Brown, but his effort was straight at Colchester keeper Sam Walker.

Brown was involved again 10 minutes later, turning mon a sixpence before passing to get Medy Elito and then getting the ball back and forcing a full-stretch save from Walker.

Colchester rallied in the last 15 minutes as first Tom Eastman struck narrowly high and wide from the edge of the area and then Kurtis Guthrie’s strong run into the box saw him fire across goal.

Forde was then called into action to push away a fierce shot from Ryan Jackson.

And there were no further chances as both sides had to settle for a point.

Colchester United: Walker, Jackson, Kent, Kpekawa, Eastman, Vincent-Young, Lapslie, Murray, Wright, Szmodics, Mandron

Substitutes: Guthrie (Wright, 60), Comley (Murray, 69), Hanlan (Mandron, 78). Not Used: Gilmartin, Reid, Slater, James.

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Legge, Taft, Carroll, Amoo, Taylor, Deegan, Maris, Brown, Ikpeazu.

Substitutes: Elito (Amoo, 43), Azeez (Taft, 52), Dunk (Carroll, 86). Not used: Mitov, O’Neil, Davies, Osadebe.

Referee: C Breakspear.

Bookings: Cambridge United – Carroll (foul, 80); Colchester United – None.

Attendance: 4,789 (away 777).

comments powered by Disqus

More news stories

Live Traffic Map

Most read stories

Image alt text goes here

Find the perfect role for you – or advertise a vacancy

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Search for your next home – and read our sparkling content

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Share your news, pictures and videos with us

Find out more