Cambridge United held to draw by Morecambe

PUBLISHED: 17:00 26 August 2017 | UPDATED: 17:00 26 August 2017

Gary Deegan produced a man-of-the-match performance for Cambridge United against Morecambe. Picture: Cambridge United

Gary Deegan produced a man-of-the-match performance for Cambridge United against Morecambe. Picture: Cambridge United

Simon Lankester Photography

U’s make all the running but denied victory

A dominant Cambridge United had a frustrating afternoon as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Morecambe in Sky Bet League Two.

It was an impressive display from the hosts, and the only thing missing was a goal, with the Shrimps no doubt delighted to have nicked a point.

It was a lively start from United, who had a chance to open the scoring after just 30 seconds.

Uche Ikpeazu played Ade Azeez through inside the area, but the striker’s tame left-footed effort went across the face of goal.

Ikpeazu was next to get in a promising position, seeing a shot deflected over the bar for a corner.

Medy Elito then had a chance deflected wide and when the impressive Jevani Brown latched on to a ball over the top from George Maris, his shot was saved by Morecambe keeper Barry Roche.

A good turn of pace from Brown put Azeez in just outside the box, but he fired into the side netting.

It was one-way traffic from United, and Morecambe offered very little, with Aaron Wildig seeing his chance comfortably blocked by Leon Legge.

So the only regret for United at half time was that they did not have the only that their dominance deserved.

And the pattern continued in the second half, with United making all the running.

Azeez was put in again by Brown, but this time he could find no way past Roche, while great work by Ikpeazu to wriggle and turn in the box saw the striker denied by a terrific tackle from Dean Winnard.

There was a scare for United in the 68th minute, when the ball dropped kindly for Garry Thompson 10 yards out, but the Morecambe striker blazed over the bar. Other than that, the visitors barely posed a threat.

Brown had a curling free kick from the edge of the box go narrowly over in the 81st minute, and that was to be United’s last real chance of note as they were left with a point when they should have got three.

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Taylor, Legge, Dunk, Elito, Deegan, Maris, Brown, Azeez, Ickpeazu.

Substitutes: Osadebe (Maris, 71), Mingoia (Elito, 71), Ibehre (Azeez, 78). Not used: Mitov, Carroll, O’Neil, Darling.

Morecambe: Roche, Winnard, Old, Kenyon, Lund, Fleming, Rose, Brough, Wildig, Ellison, Thompson.

Substitutes: McGowan (Lund, 45), Conlan (Brough, 45), Muller (Old, 76). Not used: Nizic, Campbell, Deakin, Osborne.

Referee: Paul Kelly.

Attendance: 3,573 (away 54).

comments powered by Disqus

More news stories

Live Traffic Map

Most read stories

Image alt text goes here

Find the perfect role for you – or advertise a vacancy

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Search for your next home – and read our sparkling content

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Share your news, pictures and videos with us

Find out more