Cambridge United suffer defeat to Mansfield Town in Sky Bet League Two

PUBLISHED: 16:57 21 January 2017 | UPDATED: 16:57 21 January 2017

Cambridge United's George Maris

Cambridge United's George Maris

Simon Lankester Photography

Stags get the better of the U’s

Cambridge United’s long unbeaten run was brought to an end with a 3-1 defeat to Mansfield Town at the Cambs Glass Stadium.

It was very much a stop-start affair in the first half of the Sky Bet League Two match, with neither team really able to get in full flow.

Shaquile Coulthirst had the first chance of the match in the sixth minute, but despite being in a good position inside the six-yard box, his side-footed effort was tame and easy for Will Norris.

The deadlock was broken three minutes later, as a deep cross from the right by Piero Mingoia saw George Maris rise highest at the back post to give Mansfield keeper Jake Kean no chance.

However, it was all square minutes before the break with a goal out of nothing.

It was an aimless ball into the area from the left and Rhys Bennett headed down at the edge, and Leon Legge’s sliced clearance inside the box went past Norris low to his left.

And Mansfield took the lead with the first meaningful chance of the second half.

A corner from the right by Joel Byrom saw Krystian Pearce given the chance to rise unopposed to head down and into the net.

Mansfield increased their lead in the 73rd minute when Hayden White’s shot was saved by Norris, but fell into the path of Coulthirst to put away the rebound.

And there was no way back for the U’s as they suffered their first league defeat in nine League One outings.

Cambridge United: Norris, Davies, Roberts, Legge, Carroll, Mingoia, Dunne, Clark, Maris, Berry, Ikpeazu.

Substitutes: McDonagh (Maris, 60), Lewis (Clark, 71). Not used: Gregory, Adams, Williamson, Wharton, McDonagh, Lewis, Newton.

Mansfield: Kean, White, Pearce, Bennett, Benning, Whiteman, Byrom, Collins, Hamilton, Rose, Coulthirst.

Substitutes: Thomas (Rose, 71), Hoban (Coulthirst, 87), Baxendale (Whiteman, 90+3). Not used: Shearer, Green, Arquin, Thomas, Hemmings.

Referee: Gavin Ward.

Bookings: Cambridge United – Dunne (foul, 19), Ikpeazu (dissent, 83).

Attendance: 4,211 (away 307).

comments powered by Disqus

More news stories

Live Traffic Map

Most read stories

Image alt text goes here

Find the perfect role for you – or advertise a vacancy

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Search for your next home – and read our sparkling content

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Share your news, pictures and videos with us

Find out more