Uche Ikpeazu the hero as Cambridge United beat Coventry City

PUBLISHED: 17:02 16 September 2017 | UPDATED: 18:33 16 September 2017

Uche Ikpeazu was Cambridge United's match winner against Coventry City.

Uche Ikpeazu was Cambridge United's match winner against Coventry City.

Iliffe Media Ltd

Pulsating match at the Cambs Glass Stadium

Uche Ikpeazu’s second-half header secured Cambridge United a 2-1 win over Coventry City in Sky Bet League Two today (September 16).

In a pulsating match, there was little to choose between the teams for large spells of the game.

It was a strange start as United did not get into the early rhythm that has marked out their recent matches at the Cambs Glass Stadium as Coventry had more of the ball, however, they did not really test U’s keeper David Forde.

That said, the opening goal arrived in only the 10th minute, and it was created by a terrific cross from Piero Mingoia.

The midfielder’s out-swinging delivery was met by Jabo Ibehre, whose header was beyond the despairing dive of City keeper Lee Burge.

Coventry’s best chance came through an opportunistic effort from 25 yards by Duckens Nazon that seemed to move in flight, and led to Forde having to punch clear.

Ibehre nearly doubled the lead for the U’s in the 36th minute, getting a toe to a delivery from George Maris’ free kick that required Burge to back pedal to tip over the bar.

But having started the half slowly, the U’s developed as the game wore on and were good value for their half-time lead.

Coventry fought their way back into the game at the start of the second half, and leading the charge was Jodi Jones, whose pace was testing United’s defence.

And they were on level terms in the 54th minute.

A flighted ball over the U’s defence found Nazon, despite the appeals for offside, and his effort seemed to strike Forde and hit the front post before rolling in.

The equaliser gave Coventry the impetus, and Jones was the tormenter in chief.

The right winger had a good effort from just inside the area pushed away low by Forde, and then he had to punch clear Stuart Beavon’s stinging 30-yard shot.

Jones then had an effort spilled by Forde but cleared by George Taft, and then United delivered the perfect response.

In the 72nd minute, Ikpeazu sprayed a pass wide to the left to Mingoia, who burst down the left wing and dug out a cross from the by-line, with the big striker carrying on his run to head home.

There was a scare when substitute Maxime Biamou headed wide when he should have done better in the six-yard box, and then Jones’ effort from 25 yards cannoned off the top of the bar.

And hearts were in the mouth when Nazon was unmarked centrally to hit a fierce shot straight at Forde, that looked to go through the keeper’s gloves but he somehow deflected it over the bar.

However, the U’s hung on for a valuable win.

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Legge, Taylor, Dunk, Mingoia, Deegan, Maris, Brown, Ikpeazu, Ibehre.

Substitutes: Taft (Taylor, 45), Elito (Brown, 83). O’Neil (Maris, 87). Not used: Mitov, Amoo, Davies, Foy.

Coventry City: Burge, Grimmer, Willis, McDonald, Stokes, Kelly, Doyle, Vincenti, Nazon, Jones, Beavon.

Substitutes: Biamou (Beavon, 83), Kelly-Evans (Vincenti, 83). Not used: O’Brien, Hyam, Maycock, Bayliss, Ponticelli.

Bookings: Cambridge United – Maris (foul, 83); Coventry City – Vincenti (unsporting behaviour, 33), Kelly (foul, 36).

Referee: Mark Heywood.

comments powered by Disqus

More news stories

Live Traffic Map

Most read stories

Image alt text goes here

Find the perfect role for you – or advertise a vacancy

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Search for your next home – and read our sparkling content

Find out more

Image alt text goes here

Share your news, pictures and videos with us

Find out more