Accelerate@Babraham 2023 pitch day sextet bid for glory
The six start-ups on the current Accelerate@Babraham programme took part in a pitching session to invited guests and representatives from the programme’s strategic partners and supporters recently.
The six teams have now completed the first part of the hugely respected 12-week ‘taught’ programme. Each took to the floor to present their scientific progress to date and intended next steps, which for some includes time in the communal lab space at the Babraham Research Campus to further validate their science.
The six are Aila Biotech, Bugbiome, CytoCalx, Gigabiome, Matrix Bio and Neurothread.
- Aila Biotech harnesses a patented gene delivery technology to drive the production of immune-regulating biologics at the site of disease.
- Bugbiome is developing microbiome-based solutions to prevent mosquito bites and deadly infectious disease.
- CytoCalx@ is developing a blood test to estimate risk and severity of chronic kidney disease and cardiovascular disease from vascular calcification.
- Gigabiome’s bioinformatics software profiles antimicrobial resistance from microbiome samples on a large scale to build genomic resources.
- Matrix Bio is committed to driving 3D cell culture innovation.
- Neurothread’s vision is to diagnose Parkinson’s disease early and accurately.
When asked what their most valued take-aways from the programme were, the resounding response centred around the strength of the network and new partnerships formed.
This year over 70 people from 35 different organisations took part - including experts from pharma companies, tech transfer offices, legal firms, IT and data, marketing and PR, experienced CEOs and founders, investors, accounting and finance professionals and even a theatre director.
In addition, the cohort received membership to the BIA, One Nucleus and the Milner Therapeutic Institute affiliation as part of the programme.
Dr Kathryn Chapman, director, science and entrepreneurship, Babraham Research Campus, said: “Congratulations to our fantastic cohort of founders who have taken part in Accelerate@Babraham this year. I have really enjoyed getting to know this truly exceptional group and the pitch day on Friday was inspiring.
“I’d also like to extend a huge ‘thank you’ to everyone who helped support the founders at the start of their entrepreneurial journey – we had over 70 speakers from 35 organisations – a monumental team effort.”
Accelerate@Babraham 2023 is supported by AstraZeneca, Eisai, Biomed Realty, Kidney Research UK, Medicines Discovery Catapult, Triple Chasm and LifeArc.