1,300 sign our petition urging Greater Cambridge Partnership not to demolish Waterbeach homes
More than 1,300 people have signed our petition asking the Greater Cambridge Partnership (GCP) not to demolish a row of cottages to build a new busway.
The Cambridge Independent launched the petition earlier this month after hearing Waterbeach residents had discovered three of the four routes proposed for the new busway went straight through their homes.
A consultation is being held on which route for the busway should be chosen between Waterbeach new town and Cambridge, but the brochure sent out by the GCP to villagers does not mention the possible risk to homes.
Vet Liz Barton, who owns one of the cottages threatened by the proposals, said: “Every time I looked at the number of signatures on the petition rising it was making me smile. It is just great to have public support and people appreciating that your house is your home.
“We are only a small number of houses but it makes us feel part of a much bigger community of support who want not just to preserve our homes but the history of Waterbeach.”
Liz’s two children have lived at the cottage since they were born and she says the family believed it would be their “forever home”.
She adds: “I can’t get my head around why they chose this corner to send the routes through. The pinch point of these three routes is such a tiny area there is nowhere else they can go other than right across the front of the next door estate or right through our homes. I want to ask the GCP how soon they can give us assurances that our homes will be safe.”
A GCP spokesperson said: “We appreciate the responses to our ongoing public consultation on the Waterbeach to Cambridge scheme, and are happy to accept this petition before the consultation closes on December 14.
“The GCP must follow Department for Transport guidelines and consider all available viable options before ultimately identifying a preferred scheme that works best for the area. We also welcome alternative suggestions – whether that is a hybrid of the proposed options or an entirely new option.”
The spokesperson added: “Our initial work demonstrates the emerging proposals could be delivered without demolishing homes and the GCP’s starting point for all projects is that we do not carry out compulsory purchases of residential homes and gardens. However we cannot rule out any option until we have reviewed all feedback.”
Sign the petition at chng.it/DRp2xQ6yZ9.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter and stay up to date with all the news from where you live