Cambridge fireworks - where to park tonight
Cambridge's Bonfire Night and fireworks display is one of the most popular free events in the city - so it's worth planning ahead for your journey and where to park.
The fireworks display will take place at 7pm tonight (Monday, November 5) on Midsummer Common, Cambridge. The food stalls and fairground rides will run from 6pm to 10pm, with the first rocket launched at 7pm followed by the lighting of the bonfire.
There will be several road closures in place which will affect travel around the city, including bus routes.
The city council gave this advice to anyone planning to attend: “Large numbers of people are anticipated, allow plenty of time for your journey, arrive early and wherever possible walk, cycle, or use public transport.”
Where to park:
Cambridge Retail Park on Newmarket Road is offering free parking between 1pm – 1am on Monday night (November 5) so people can attend the display.
A spokesperson said: “We just know how many there are that don’t go the event just because of the lack of parking space.”
Follow this link to find a list of Cambridge city centre car parks:
• Victoria Avenue, Trafalgar Road, Trafalgar Street, Fair Street, New Square, Jesus Lane and Kings Street between Four Lamps Roundabout and Manor Street, and a part closure of Maids Causeway between 6.00pm and 9.00pm, as the crowds build up.
• In the interests of safety, there will be no access for vehicles including local residents, blue badge holders or taxis for the duration of the road closures.
• Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained.
• For the duration of the road closures, Short Street and Bridge Street should be used to leave the area.
• Access to the De Freville Estate will be via a one one-way system between 6.00pm and 9.00pm, in order to reduce traffic congestion experienced previously on this night. Hamilton Road will be one way, westbound only and there will be no entry into Hamilton Road from Chesterton Road. Aylestone Road will be one way, westbound only. Pretoria Road will be one way, northbound only. Kimberley Road will be one way, southbound only.
• Lime Kiln Road, between Worts Causeway and Queen Edith’s Way, will be closed to vehicles, between 6.15pm and 7.45pm
Park and Ride information:
During the road closures,Park & Ride buses will still be able to service all City Centre bus stops, with the exception of Newmarket Rd from 7pm (see below).
The Madingley Park & Ride bus will unfortunately not be able to serve the inbound Bridge St bus stop from 6pm and passengers will need to alight in St Andrews St. Park & Ride buses will be operating prior and after the event, with the display scheduled to start at 7pm, so please plan your journey.
An increased Park & Ride service will continue to use their scheduled stops prior and after the event, to assist people for the event.
Details of these increased buses and their locations are listed below.
Babraham Park & Ride will not have an increased service and the last departure for that is 20:31 Emmanuel St, stop E5.
Towards Madingley Park & Ride – St Andrews St Stop S2, Last bus 8.30pm
Towards Milton Park & Ride – Drummer St Stop D1, Last bus 8.30pm
Towards Trumpington Park & Ride – Downing St Stop D1, last bus 8.30pm
Towards Newmarket Park & Ride (after 7pm) – Drummer St Bus Station Bay 4, last bus 8.30pm