Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Cambridge stalker who burned car and sent threatening messages is jailed

A stalker sent his former girlfriend a barrage of threatening messages, then set her car on fire.

Liviu Groparu, 38, from Peverel Road, Cambridge, has been jailed for three years.

Liviu Groparu, 38, from Peverel Road, Cambridge, was jailed for three years on 13 March, 2024, for stalking, arson and criminal damage
Liviu Groparu, 38, from Peverel Road, Cambridge, was jailed for three years on 13 March, 2024, for stalking, arson and criminal damage

A court heard he led his victim to believe she was being targeted by a previous partner from years earlier. She began receiving threatening messages from numerous unknown phone numbers and Facebook accounts just days after her relationship with Groparu ended in November 2022.

In one message, the perpetrator said they were now free “to do what they want” to the victim because she was no longer in a relationship.

Her parents also received an anonymous message with abusive words aimed at their daughter, who continued to receive calls and messages.

Groparu told her he was also receiving threatening messages and called the victim’s parents to tell them he was feared something bad might happen to their daughter due to “these dangerous people”.

The victim was at home at about 5.30pm on 8 December when she received a message telling her to go outside as there was a surprise for her.

At about that time, Groparu called her to ask if anything had happened to her or her car, as he claimed he had received a message saying: “Your princess has a surprise on her car”.

Outside, she saw a handwritten note on the windscreen and her tyres had been slashed.

A couple of days later, at about 8.30am, she received another message from a number she did not recognise, saying she had destroyed Groparu’s life, and the slashing of her tyres was “a warning”. The message threatened to burn her “without hesitation” if she went to the police.

The victim’s parents received another message suggesting their daughter would be “mutilated for life” and “no one would love her anymore”.

At a friend’s house later that day, the victim’s brother called to say he had received a message from an unknown person telling him his sister’s car was on fire.

She ran outside and was shocked to see firefighters tackling flames coming from her car at a nearby car park.

Groparu called to ask what was going on and told her he wanted to see her.

She said no, but he turned up and insisted on waiting with her until the police arrived.

After the arson attack and campaign of harassment, officers took the victim to an undisclosed safe place. Their investigations traced all the calls and messages back to Groparu.

He denied the charges of two counts of stalking, arson and criminal damage, but was found guilty of all counts following a trial earlier this year.

On Wednesday, 13 March, at Huntingdon Law Courts, Groparu was sentenced to three years in prison and handed a five-year restraining order.

Det Sgt Kenny Reeves said: "Groparu’s actions left his victim feeling frightened and it was a traumatic experience for her and her family to go through.

“Groparu manipulated the victim so he could persistently stalk and harass her and believed this would enable him to frighten her into rekindling the relationship. Stalking can be a terrifying experience and leave victims feeling isolated and frightened.

“This case highlights that stalking isn’t a one-off crime and often includes a series of incidents which, when taken in isolation, may seem trivial, but when put together can be very scary.

“We would encourage anyone who fears they may be being stalked or harassed to get in touch. We’re here for victims 24/7 and will support them, as well as do all we can to bring offenders to justice.”

More information and advice on stalking and harassment can be found on the force’s dedicated web page.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More