Home   News   Article

Caravans illegally parked in Willingham green belt removed


By Gemma Gardner


Eight caravans that were illegally parked on a field at Willingham’s Black Pit Drove have been removed by South Cambridgeshire District Council.

Willingham Black Pit Drove (7935174)
Willingham Black Pit Drove (7935174)

Black Pit Drove is within the protected greenbelt in open countryside and does not have planning permission to be used for residential purposes.

Police, bailiffs and council planning enforcement officers attended on Tuesday (March 19) and all eight caravans were removed by their owners by the end of the day.

A final appeal had been made 24 hours in advance of this, asking the people to leave the site of their own accord.

South Cambridgeshire District Council’s lead cabinet member for planning, Cllr Dr Tumi Hawkins said: “We’ve been left with no choice but to take this action as a last resort on behalf of the vast majority of our residents who do follow the rules.

“We would of course have much preferred to have brought this to a sensible conclusion several months ago without the need to involve bailiffs and the police and have tried to offer the council’s welfare support and advice at every stage.

“However, we won’t tolerate planning breaches from any part of the community so were forced into this course of action despite our best efforts to avoid it.”

Willingham Black Pit Drove (7935176)
Willingham Black Pit Drove (7935176)

The caravans first moved onto the site in August last year. Following attempts to encourage the occupants to move on voluntarily, direct action was authorised after they ignored a High Court injunction that stated they must be removed, and the site returned to its original condition, by Friday, February 19.

That injunction was served on the people staying inside the caravans along with a letter that outlined the housing advice and welfare support that council officers can provide.

Since February 19, anyone illegally using Black Pit Drove as a place to live has been in contempt of court and could be sent to prison, fined or have their assets seized.

Before going to the High Court to seek an injunction, the authority had already used its planning powers to try and bring forward the removal of the caravans by issuing an enforcement notice.

The High Court had already also awarded a temporary injunction that banned further caravans from entering the site.

In November last year, officers from Cambridgeshire Police carried out a warrant at the site. Suspected stolen items were seized including two vehicles, a number of quad and dirt bikes, a horse trailer and a caravan along with 102 dogs, who were left in the care of the RSPCA.

A number of arrests were also made.

Rubbish that was left behind is being cleared by the Greater Cambridge shared waste service.

The action is unrelated to the legal static Traveller sites in Willingham.

Over and Willingham councillor Dawn Percival said: “Since the occupants arrived in August last year, residents have reported concerns regarding antisocial behaviour, noise and unruly animals. As the land in question has an injunction order it is expected this will deter any further unauthorised encampments to this site.

“This has taken up a great deal of time, but I would like to thank those local residents most affected by this unauthorised encampment for their patience whilst this matter was resolved. I hope the community will once again be able to enjoy this open space.”

Cllr Bill Handley, who also represents Over and Willingham, added: “Dawn and I have been working with council enforcement officers since these people moved onto the site without permission and in contravention of planning rules last summer.

“It was a complicated case leading to a long, drawn-out process to get the matter lawfully resolved.”

“Our thanks go to the various agencies involved in the operation and for the diligence of the council’s enforcement officers.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More