Covid-19 vaccinations for children aged 5-11 and spring boosters for eligible over-75s now available on walk-on basis in Cambridgeshire
Over-75s and the immunosuppressed who are eligible for their spring Covid-19 booster jab and children aged five to 11 awaiting their first dose can now access them on a walk-in basis at Cambridgeshire’s large-scale vaccinations centres.
These groups have, until today (Tuesday), had to book their vaccinations but can now access them without an appointment.
The walk-in access has been extended to those:
- Aged 75 and older six months after their last dose;
- Those aged 12 years and older who are severely immunosuppressed, six months after their last dose; and
- Children aged five to 11 can access their first Covid vaccine dose, with a second dose available 12 weeks’ later.
Those aged five to 11 will be offered two 10mg doses of the Pfizer vaccine, which is a third of the amount used for adult vaccinations. Parents and guardians are asked to attend the vaccination centre with their children and read the patient information available.
Dr David Vickers, medical director of Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust, said:
“We know vaccines give significant protection against severe illness from Covid-19, so I strongly urge anyone who’s eligible to come forward.
“Our vaccination teams continue to do an amazing job delivering the largest vaccination programme in NHS history and we’d like to thank our dedicated staff and volunteers for working over the holiday period to enable many more people to get vaccinated.
“If you haven’t yet had your first, second or (if you were immunosuppressed at the time you had these) third dose of the vaccine, or any other booster, it’s never too late - you can simply walk-in to a local vaccination centre or book an appointment online via the National Booking Service.”
Health chiefs are also advised that anyone who has recently recovered from Covid should still come forward for their vaccination, as having had the virus does not give the same levels of protection.
Anyone over 18 who has had Covid will need to wait four weeks before any dose of the vaccine, while those aged 5 to 17 must wait 12 weeks.
First, second and, where eligible, booster doses remain available.
Large-scale vaccination centres are open seven days a week, from 8.30am to 4pm and some late evenings at the following locations:
- The Grafton Centre, Cambridge CB1 1PS
- Chesterton Indoor Bowls Centre, Logan’s Way, Chesterton, Cambridge CB4 1BL
- The Eatons Community Centre, Eaton Socon, St Neots PE19 8ES
- The Oaktree Centre, 1 Oak Drive, Huntingdon PE29 7HN
- Horsefair Shopping Centre, Wisbech, Cambs PE13 1AR
- Queensgate Shopping Centre, PeterboroughPE1 1NT
Details of evening openings are available at www.thevaccinators.co.uk.
Bookings can still be made, if preferred, by visiting the National Booking Service online or calling 119.