Fire crews battle blaze at Impington Village College that causes cylinders to explode
Residents heard explosions as fire crews battled a large blaze at Impington Village College on Sunday night.
A large skip and other rubbish was alight, and was spreading following what police have now confirmed was an arson attack.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that cylinders exploded during the blaze.
Crews from Cambridge, Cottenham, Sawston, Papworth, Huntingdon and St Ives worked to bring the fire under control and prevent it spreading further.
No injuries have been reported and no-one is believed to have been inside the school when the fire began.
Impington Village College tweeted: “We wanted to reassure you all that the fire seems to be in the roofing compound - no-one is hurt, the college building is fine and untouched.
Huge thanks to the swift efforts of our fire service, Cambridgeshire Fire & Rescue Service.”
Crews were called at 10.24pm to reports of fire at the school in New Road.
Speaking at the scene, station commander Ben Fawcitt said: “People may have heard explosions. It is nothing to worry about - there were a few cylinders going off, which we’ve now cooled.”
By 1.10am on Monday, the fire was deemed to be under control and crews were scaled back.
Some firefighters remained on the scene to dampen down the area before leaving.
The fire service reinspected the school later in the morning, and a full investigation is taking place today (Monday, May 4).
Neighbouring resident Luke Wilderspin said he could “literally hear the propane tanks whistling with pressure” and witnessed a “mushroom cloud as they blew”.
Road closures were put in place at the junctions of Histon Road and Impington Road.
Residents were advised to avoid the area and keep their windows closed.
More by this authorPaul Brackley