Home   News   Article

Fulbourn man with £16,000 savings fined after claiming £6,215 in council tax support

By Paul Brackley

Cambridge Magistrates' Court. Picture: Keith Heppell
Cambridge Magistrates' Court. Picture: Keith Heppell

A Fulbourn man has been fined for claiming more than £6,000 in benefits to which he was not entitled.

Leslie Wilkinson, 70, from Cherry Orchard, admitted he failed to tell South Cambridgeshire District Council’s benefits department that he had held more than £16,000 in savings since 2013. This made him ineligible to receive the £6,215 in council tax support he received.

Appearing at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court earlier this month, Wilkinson was ordered to pay back the full amount, plus a fine of £180, costs of £600 and a £30 victim surcharge.

The investigation was started after a council benefits assessment officer conducted a review of Wilkinson’s benefit claim.

Cllr John Williams, the council’s lead cabinet member for finance, said: “This is another case that highlights why it is so important that any resident claiming benefits tells us if their circumstances change.

“Our teams are always happy to speak to residents about the benefits system and answer any queries. We want to help people claim what they’re entitled to but won’t tolerate anyone claiming financial assistance that they should not be getting. If you’re claiming benefits and you think your circumstances have changed, talk to us. If you don’t you could end-up in court.”

To make an anonymous report to the council on someone making a false claim, visit scambs.gov.uk/benefits/stop-benefit-fraud email fraud@scambs.gov.uk or call 0800 7311 892.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More