Get green inspiration on a tour of a Cambridgeshire eco home
After 10 years of live events, Open Eco Homes has gone online with its home tours that aim to help - and inspire - homeowners to take their next green step.
Running until October 20, the event includes one-hour tours of homes from across Cambridgeshire that have already embraced green technologies.
The householders lead the tours, giving viewers an opportunity to find out about their stories - including the real world benefits of the changes they have made.
Open Eco Homes also includes three talks, giving people free access to expert advice.
Organiser Tom Bragg said: “With people spending so much time at home recently, there’s new demand to improve them.
“Visitors to the Open Eco Homes autumn season will learn how to save energy, make their home more comfortable and reduce their carbon emissions.
“People are more likely to make improvements themselves if they see it working for real in someone else’s beautiful comfortable home.
“And this is great for the environment.”
The tours that are available online include:
- 1930s eco-retrofit and loft extension (September 17, 7.30pm and October 15, 5pm
- Victorian family house: insulation retrofit (September 22, 7pm and October 17, 2pm
- Victorian terrace: getting off gas retrofit (September 26, 4pm)
- Mark Brinkley’s self-build new home (October 1, 6pm)
- More space, less energy retrofit (October 8, 6pm)
- Carbon-neutral studio flat (October 13, 7pm)
- House built in three days (October 20, 6pm)
Organised by Cambridge Carbon Footprint, with support from Cambridge City Council and the Cambridge Forum for the Construction Industry, the event doesn’t promote any particular brands or technologies, but passes on experiences, both good and bad, so others can choose and implement home energy improvements that suit them.
This year’s expert talks will be:
- Green Homes Grant on September 21 at 7pm with Peter Bates and Tom Bragg
- Insulation on October 6 at 7pm with Margaret Reynolds, Apostolos Petrakis and Tim Acheson
- A Heat Pump for your Home, October 12, 7.30pm with Andy Hamilton and Nicola Terry
The free online tours and talks can be booked at openecohomes.org/autumnseason or by calling 01223 301842. All tours and talks are via Zoom.