M11 closure: Driver cut free as van is crushed between two lorries
A van driver was cut free from his vehicle after it ended up between two lorries in a serious collision on the M11 on Tuesday morning (November 7).
A section of the southbound motorway remains closed between junctions 10 (Duxford) and 8 (Bishop’s Stortford), resulting in lengthy tailbacks and traffic queuing on the northbound carriageway and surrounding road network.
Fire and rescue crews from Saffron Walden, Bishop’s Stortford and Newport were sent to the scene at around 6.30am. Three large vehicles were involved in the collision.
“On arrival we found that the white van driver was trapped,” said a spokesperson for Saffron Walden fire station. “Our crew worked hard using heavy equipment to release the driver and hand him over to ambulance crews.
“With help of crews from Newport, Bishop’s Stortford and the heavy rescue team, we managed to successfully complete this tricky task.
“The M11 was closed southbound and very slow northbound between Stansted and Duxford. It may take a while to be fully cleared, so please avoid the M11 if possible.”
A spokeswoman for East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust (EEAST) said: “We were called at 6.26am with reports of a collision on the M11 near Wendens Ambo.
“We sent the hazardous area response team, an ambulance and an ambulance officer vehicle. One man was taken to Princess Alexandra Hospital (Harlow) for further care.”
National Highways said emergency services were still at the scene and diversions had been put in place while the road remains closed.
“A section of the M11 south of Cambridge has been closed following a serious collision, leading to miles of tailbacks. The southbound section between Junction 10 for Duxford and Junction 8 for Stansted Airport is closed, with a diversion in place.
“Emergency services, including Essex Police, are in attendance and National Highways traffic officers are on the scene assisting with traffic management.”
National Highways advises motorists travelling south on the M11 to follow the solid square diversion symbol on road signs. The diversion is:
- Exit M11 at J10
- Follow A505 to Royston
- Continue along the A505 until the roundabout with A10 to Royston
- At the roundabout take the 1st exit onto the A10 to Royston
- Continue along the A10 through Royston, Reed, Buckland, Chipping and Buntingford to the A10/A120 roundabout
- At the roundabout take the 1st exit onto the A120
- Continue through Standon and Little Hadham
- Rejoin M11 southbound at J8.
Road users on the A11 travelling towards the M11 J9 are advised to follow this diversion route:
- From A11 leave at M11 J9A southbound exit slip
- Approach the Barbell junction and take the 3rd exit onto the A1310 northbound
- Continue on the A1310 until the roundabout with A505
- Take the 1st exit onto the A505 westbound towards M11 J10
- Continue on the A505 until reaching M11 J10.