New road numbers confirmed for A428 Black Cat to Caxton Gibbet upgrade scheme
New road numbers for the planned A428 Black Cat to Caxton Gibbet upgrade scheme have been announced by National Highways.
When the new 10-mile section of dual carriageway opens in 2025-26, it will be called the A421, as it will be an extension of the existing A421, which currently stops at the Black Cat roundabout, where it meets the A1.
The existing A428 will then be renumbered in two sections as it becomes two local roads.
The current A428 stretch from Great North Road in St Neots to the Cambridge Road junction will be called the A1428.
From the Cambridge Road junction to Caxton Gibbet, the existing A428 will become the B1428, continuing the existing B1428 that passes through St Neots further to the west.
The scheme, which will also involve other upgrades including new junctions, is going through the Development Consent Order examination process, which is now entering its second month.
If approved by the transport secretary, the scheme is designed to improve journeys from Milton Keynes to Cambridge.
The next hearings in the process will be held on September 22, 23 and 24, with a reserved date of September 28 if needed.
National Highways has announced the agenda - below - for the hearings, so that members of the public can listen in to subjects of interest. Due for discussion are issues such as archaeology, noise, traffic effects in the surrounding area and biodiversity.
Hearings and topics
1pm, Wednesday, September 22, 2021 - Compulsory Acquisition Hearing (CAH1)
Matters relating to the powers sought for Compulsory Acquisition (CA) and Temporary Possession (TP)
- The case for CA and TP
- Site specific matters
- Statutory Undertakers’ land
- Crown land
- Draft Development Consent Order dDCO provisions
10am, Thursday 23 September 23, 2021 - Issue Specific Hearing (ISH2)
Highway matters including the dDCO
- Need for the proposed development
- Traffic effects on the nearby highway network
- Highway layouts and structures
- Effects on Non-Motorised Users
- Outline construction traffic management plan
- Noise and air quality
10am, Friday, September 24, 2021 - Issue Specific Hearing (ISH3)
Social, economic and environmental matters including the dDCO
- Assessment of alternatives
- Heritage matters, including listed building and archaeology
- Landscape effects
- Biodiversity including Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA) matters
- Land use, including loss of Best and Most Versatile land
- Flood risk
- Wider construction effects, including borrow pits
- Sustainability effects, in particular economic effects
10am, Tuesday, September 28, 2021 (Reserved hearing date)
Issue specific hearing or open floor hearing
Visit https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/projects/eastern/a428-black-cat-to-caxton-gibbet-road-improvement-scheme/ for a link to the virtual hearings shortly before they start.