Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Record year for Arthur Rank Christmas tree recycling scheme



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


This year’s Arthur Rank Hospice Christmas tree recycling scheme was the charity’s biggest yet, with more trees, more days and an extra postcode.

Some of the volunteers and staff from Arthur Rank Hospice at Milton Maise Maze, one of the Christmas tree recycling sites. Picture: Keith Heppell
Some of the volunteers and staff from Arthur Rank Hospice at Milton Maise Maze, one of the Christmas tree recycling sites. Picture: Keith Heppell

Despite ever-changing lockdown rules, the charity – based at Cherry Hinton Road – still managed to collect 2,900 trees and, thanks to the local community, registering those trees has helped Arthur Rank raise £54,000 for the hospice – its highest-ever total.

Fundraising head Jodie Vaughan said quieter-than normal roads had helped.

She said: “We are delighted with how well our Christmas tree recycling scheme went this year, thanks to our extremely generous community and incredible volunteers.”

The ‘treasure hunt for trees’, sponsored by Cooke Curtis & Co and Cyber Business Growth, is in its sixth year.

Between Thursday, January 7 and Sunday, January 10, 160 Team Arthur volunteers each in their separate vans and/or household or social bubbles collected pre-registered trees from CB1, CB2, CB3, CB4, CB5, CB21, CB22, CB23 and CB24.

A Christmas tree ready for collection as part of Arthur Rank's Christmas tree recycling scheme
A Christmas tree ready for collection as part of Arthur Rank's Christmas tree recycling scheme

Trees were collected and taken to drop off points, where they were chipped by Greenwood Tree Surgery in Isleham and Michael Downs from Parsonage Farm, to be used as mulch on location or at the hospice.

In addition, a few trees were dropped off for the animals at Shepreth Wildlife Park and even a local goat farm.

After costs, 90 per cent of the money raised will go to the hospice and the remaining 10 per cent will be donated to Rotary Club of Cambridge, to distribute among local charities.

arhc.org.uk/tree-recycling.

Read more:

Arthur Rank Hospice Charity launches coronavirus SOS appeal

Former Arthur Rank Hospice chief executive Dr Lynn Morgan says she is ‘humbled’ by MBE in Queen’s Honours List

Trumpington FC get boost from Cooke Curtis & Co

Struggling Shepreth Wildlife Park must stay shut even when shops reopen

Cambridge Rotary Club members helping to build communities in Africa



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More