Home   News   Article

Petition calls for Extinction Rebellion roadblock to be stopped




A petition has been launched calling for Cambridgeshire Constabulary to stop Extinction Rebellion’s week of action in Cambridge.

Past action by Extinction Rebellion. Picture: Keith Heppell.
Past action by Extinction Rebellion. Picture: Keith Heppell.

The ‘Stop the Extinction Rebellion roadblock in Cambridge’ petition was launched yesterday (Thursday, February 13).

It has so far gathered more than 170 signatures against a current target of 200.

The petition, launched by George Owers, says the activists should use “legal channels” and the “democratic system” to spread their message rather than threaten the people of Cambridge.

It adds: “Threatening the people of Cambridge with illegal acts of disruption is outrageous, and amounts to little better than mob rule.

“The proposed action will have a big negative impact on Cambridge’s residents and goes well beyond the boundaries of acceptable, peaceful, legal protest. Extinction Rebellion has no right to prevent citizens going about their lawful business.”

The petition calls on Cambridgeshire Constabulary and other relevant authorities to “do everything in their power to enforce the law and remove” the roadblock.

It continues: “Blocking key transport routes, as Extinction Rebellion plans to do, threatens not only the access of disabled people to the city, but also could well cause significant problems for ambulances and other emergency vehicles. It is therefore highly irresponsible and dangerous.”

A spokesperson for the East of England Ambulance Service said they would be working with other agencies to minimise the impact of the planned action.

A statement released by the service said: “We are sharing information with our staff internally to minimise any potential impact and utilise alternative routes if they are needed.

“We are also sharing information and working with our colleagues across other agencies.”

The Extinction Rebellion Cambridge Youth and Rebel for Justice planned action will take place in the city from Sunday, February 16 to Saturday, February 22.

It will involve roadblocks preventing access by all vehicles to the city centre via Trumpington Road and The Fen Causeway. Cyclists and pedestrians will be allowed to pass.

To sign the petition, visit change.org.



More by this author



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More