Vigil remembers murdered student Giulio three years on
A vigil was held in Cambridge last week to mark three years since university student Giulio Regeni disappeared in Egypt.
Candles were lit outside Great St Mary’s Church on Friday for the Italian student who was found murdered nine days later on February 3, 2016.
The city’s MP Daniel Zeichner attended the vigil, but also raised Giulio’s case in Parliament, asking for the government to reveal what it has done to put pressure on the Egyptian authorities to find out the truth about what happened to Giulio.
“Three years ago, University of Cambridge PhD researcher Giulio Regeni went missing in Cairo while undertaking academic research,” said Mr Zeichner. “Just over a week later, his body was found on the outskirts of the city, showing signs of torture.
“Giulio’s death was nothing less than an obscene and heinous crime and those responsible must be held accountable.
“I am calling on the government again to assure me that they are exerting pressure on the Egyptian authorities to find out the truth about what happened to Giulio.”
Following the death, a ‘Truth for Giulio Regeni’ campaign was set up by Amnesty International. "We must have answers and justice for Giulio," said Sue Woodsford of Cambridge City Amnesty.
A Foreign Office statement condemned "the brutal manner of his killing" and said it remained "in contact with the authorities of Italy and Egypt".