Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

A fan’s view on how it went with the safe return of supporters to Cambridge United’s Abbey Stadium

More news, no ads


Cambridge United v Fulham . Picture: Keith Heppell. (42173356)
Cambridge United v Fulham . Picture: Keith Heppell. (42173356)

The return of supporters to Cambridge United's Abbey Stadium for the EFL Trophy clash with Fulham under-21s on Tuesday night has been hailed has a success.

The U's were chosen to lead the way as part of the government’s pilot scheme to re-introduce supporters to stadiums - with two matches earmarked, the first on Tuesday against Fulham under-21s and the second this Saturday against Carlisle United.

There were 862 in attendance in midweek, and one of those was James Mills, the chair of the Cambridge United Supporters' Panel. Here, he gives the Cambridge Independent his thoughts on how everything went.

Going into the ground

When going into the ground you had to wear a mask and you were temperature checked before entering. This was a strange feeling to have a thermometer put in your face (first time this has happened to me since Covid has started). Going through the turnstile was the same as it would be normally but there were hand sanitiser stations (not to be confused with the sauces!!)

Once in the ground

I was in the Newmarket Road End. You had to follow the red arrows that were added to the ground. The red arrows created a one-way system round the stand. I went straight to where I would normally stand and I didn’t move from my spot until the end when instructed to do so. The game was strange in the sense that there was a crowd but no real atmosphere other than clapping.

Leaving the ground

We were told over the tannoy multiple times to stay in position once the final whistle went to ensure that social distancing rules were followed when leaving. This was controlled well by the stewards and we were then let out in sections. We then had to follow the red arrows along the front of the stand and then around the back of the ground. We then exited the ground via the gates at the front of the ground. We could then take off our masks.

Overall, I felt that the event was a success. I felt safe and comfortable at all times.

Read more

Opinion: Cambridge United should be congratulated for efforts in piloting safe return of fans to EFL grounds

Tom Knowles and Paul Mullin on target for Cambridge United in win over Fulham under-21s as fans return to Abbey Stadium in EFL pilot

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More