Home   Sport   Article

Ben Seymour-Shove grabs hat-trick as Cambridge City put Marlow to the sword

James Hall added to his Cambridge City tally with a goal in the 7-1 win over Marlow.
James Hall added to his Cambridge City tally with a goal in the 7-1 win over Marlow.

Lilywhites jump into the play-off places.

Ben Seymour-Shove scored a hat-trick for Cambridge City as they cruised to a 7-1 win over Marlow in the Evo-Stik League, South East Division.

It may have been a big score, but it felt as if the Lilywhites played within themselves and did enough to win the game without having to press too hard.

That may sound like a far-fetched comment, but with the freedom of Westwood Road granted to Seymour-Shove on the left, they were able to get the wide man away and the pitch was instantly stretched.

There may have been mitigating circumstances for Marlow, with a late arrival leading to a delayed kick off and a depleted side that included several youngsters, but they are not matters to concern City, all you can do is beat what is in front of you.

They did that with aplomb, and the number of goals scored will be a huge boost as the chase for promotion – be it automatically or through the play-offs – hots up.

The game was only 10 minutes old when a ball in from the right was mis-kicked by a Marlow defender in the area and fell to the feet of Seymour-Shove, who made no mistake into the bottom corner.

It was 2-0 five minutes later, when Seymour-Shove hit a corner into the ground and Jordan Gent headed into the net, with Marlow’s appeals for offside being waved away.

Marlow keeper Phil Brown produced a terrific save to deny Ryan Towner’s dipping effort from the edge of the box after 19 minutes, but it was 3-0 minutes later when Seymour-Shove got his second at the back post.

The visitors pulled a goal back on the half-hour as Charlie Barton let fly from about 25 yards, and his effort beat City keeper Josh Bexon low down at his near post.

City did not let up though, and a brilliant inswinging corner in the 39th minute was met by an unmarked Ryan Sharman in front of goal to score his 30th of the season.

It was 5-1 by half time, as more good work by Seymour-Shove ended with a thumping finish inside the six-yard box by James Hall.

The question at the start of the second half was whether there would be any let-up from City, or whether they had scented blood and were going for the kill.

It certainly seemed as if the intent was there from the off as the half was only four minutes old when Seymour-Shove skipped past one challenge only to be taken out in the area by Alex Salmon.

Jay Welch had obviously said something to referee Lee Grimsey as he was quickly booked, and the Marlow man clearly carried on as a second yellow card was then shown to the midfielder, leading to him getting his marching orders.

And Seymour-Shove stepped up to tuck away the penalty to complete his hat-trick, and his evening’s work was over as he was soon replaced by Isaac Maynard.

It was 7-1 in the 62nd minute when a ricochet in the area fell to Sharman, who neatly back-heel flicked into the path of Towner, and his thunderous left side-footed shot flew into the top corner.

City continued to take the game to Marlow, peppering Brown’s goal with efforts without hitting the target, but the visitors were holding their own, despite their diminished numbers.

They were also offering a bit in attack, although never looking too likely to add to their tally, but they can take credit for only allowing City to add two to their tally in the second half, especially being down to 10 men.

And the result takes City above Chalfont St Peter into the play-off places.

Cambridge City: Bexon, Robinson, Seymour-Shove, Paterson, Gent, Williams, Wilson, Towner, Hall, Sharman, Olukanmi.

Substitutes: Maynard (Seymour-Shove, 52), Harradine (Hall, 60), Lyratzopoulos (Olukanmi, 76). Subs not used: Vasey, Theobald.

Marlow: Brown, Bowles, Sackey, Welch, Salmon, Ovenden, English, Laflin, Mealing, Barton, Osei-Tutu.

Substitutes: Morrison (Bowles, 73), Owusu (Laflin, 73).

Bookings: Marlow – Sackey (foul, 64).

Red card: Marlow – Welch (two bookings for dissent, 49).

Referee: Lee Grimsey.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More