Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Cambridge City complete Northern Premier League double over Histon

Jarid Robson was fouled for the penalty that gave Cambridge City victory over Histon. Picture: Keith Heppell
Jarid Robson was fouled for the penalty that gave Cambridge City victory over Histon. Picture: Keith Heppell

Scott Bridges hit the only goal of the game as Cambridge City beat Histon 1-0 in the Northern Premier League, Midlands Division.

In what was a nominal away fixture for the Lilywhites against their landlords, Bridges converted a second-half penalty to complete a league double over their rivals.

It was a strange first half in that it had the feeling of an early season game, rather than an end of season one.

There was a tentative approach from both sides, almost sizing each other up, eager to avoid making an errors that may let the other side in.

It was a theme that was to continue throughout the opening 45 minutes, with clear-cut openings few and far between for either team.

In the fifth minute, a searching ball saw Histon's Rhys Thorpe get in behind the City defence but he was just unable to get a clean connection as City keeper Danny Boness advanced off his line.

Ben Bradley headed wide for City in the 24th minute and Mikey Davis flashed a shot across the area that went narrowly wide.

Andy Ballester sent a deep cross over for Histon a minute after Davis' chance but Ed Rolph could not get a true connection on ball when in a great central position in the six-yard box.

The best chance of the half came at the end of it as Bradley rolled a pass across the edge of the area and Davis got onto it to drill an effort that thundered against the post and clear to safety.

After a somewhat tepid first half, the second started with much more of an end-to-end derby feel.

Seb Simpson hit a shot for City on the angle that Histon keeper Sam Roach had to push out at full stretch.

Thorpe then got in behind the City defence, but a great recovery by Taylor Parr saw the ball blocked for the first corner of the game.

The ball was in the net in the 53rd minute as Ryan Ingrey tapped in Ryan Swift's low cross, but it was ruled out for offside.

In the 55th minute, Simpson hit a deep cross from the left and it was heading towards Jarid Robson, but Charlie Lewis appeared to lose the flight of the ball and brought City man down, with referee Chris Darling having no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Bridges made no mistake by sending the penalty low and straight into the middle of the goal.

There was no lack of endeavour for the rest of the game,, but the match become a battle between the two areas.

When either side did make it into the opposing teams areas, they were met be some resolute defending and blocks.

Histon had appeals for a penalty for Davis leaning into Finley Wilkinson waved away in the 82nd minute.

There was a chance for the Stutes in the 88th minute when substitute Tobi Lawal's effort from the edge of the area caught a deflection to loop up and it looked like it might dip in, but Boness was on hand to tip over the bar to make sure it did not go in.

But there was little else of note, as City added to their 4-2 win over Histon at Christmas to seal a league double, but there is far bigger fish to fry for the Stutes, who have a relegation play-off ahead.

Histon: Roach, Ballester, Lewis, Bexfield, York, Brookes, Rolph, Towner, Thorpe, Wilkinson, Muyembe.

Substitutes: Lawal (Ballester, 72), Smith (Muyembe, 72), Price (Thorpe, 72). Not used: Collison, Cole.

Cambridge City: Boness, Miles, Simpson, Bridges, Nantwi-Ofosu, Parr, Swift, Bradley, Ingrey, Robson, Davis.

Substitutes: Gent (Miles, 66), Swinton (Bradley, 80). Not used: Wren, Conway, Barnes.

Referee: Chris Darling.

Attendance: 881.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More