Home   Sport   Article

Cambridge City launch seventh's team in clash with fellow new-boys Cambridge South VI

Cambridge City's Tom Rye in action for the sevens. Picture: Simon Webb (20900267)
Cambridge City's Tom Rye in action for the sevens. Picture: Simon Webb (20900267)

Newly-formed Cambridge City VII and Cambridge South VI clashed in a friendly at Wilberforce Road.

It was the first appearance for the City side set up as a test this season, making up the uneven numbers in the division to play the ‘inactive’ team, while South were playing just their second match.

Former Teddington II player and club umpire Nick Turner captained City, who featured young teenagers alongside veterans such as Roddy Tipper and Geoff Gibbs.

Father-son partnership Stuart and Tom Rye were in midfield, and it was Tom that scored both of City’s goals, one a volley and the second from a penalty corner.

Rupert Espley replied for South, whose keeper Naka Adigwe was their man of the match.

Two goals from Tom Harris, including a reverse-stick strike, and one each from Sukhi Bhatia and Steve Hodson gave Cambridge Nomads III a 4-0 win over St Neots III in 6NW (S).

Veteran forwards Rob Barton and Paul South were the heroes as South V picked up a 4-0 over St Ives IV.

Man-of-the-match Thomas Grove set up Barton for a trademark reverse-stick finish for the first goal.

After half time, Barton completed his hat-trick to take his career tally for South to 399.

Paul South finished off the scoring from a penalty corner.

South IV fell to two late goals at Bourne Deeping IV as they lost 2-1 in 5NW.

Oli Weston, Jonny Camp and Dave Monck all had chances for South while two Bourne penalty corners were cleared off the line.

But Bourne struck twice in the final 20 minutes, leaving Dan Loy to fire a late penalty corner for South.

A 5-0 win over Ely City II saw South II pull away from the lower reaches of the 3NW table.

Vice-captain Shin Kim opened the scoring, man-of-the-match Matt Puddefoot was on target, summer recruit Panos Panayiotopoulos got his first in South colours and Jack Chalk and Chris Walsh also scored.

Cambridge City's Ed Batt in action. Picture: Simon Webb (20900259)
Cambridge City's Ed Batt in action. Picture: Simon Webb (20900259)

Hamish Leslie scored twice as Cambridge City V beat Nomads II in East Men’s League, Division 4NW.

Mel Ragnauth pounced to score the rebound from a penalty corner to give Nomads the lead.

They doubled their advantage when George Toff eluded the tracking centre-back and saw his shot curl in off the left post.

City pulled one back before half time as Doug McLead volleyed in a saved penalty corner from a narrow angle.

In the second half, McLeod drove down the right to cross for Leslie to score from close range.

With minutes remaining, McLeod and Leslie combined again, this time on the left, for Leslie to score City’s winner.

Man-of-the-match Jimmy Wood scored a consolation goal for second-placed Cambridge South III in a 3-1 defeat to Wisbech Town II in 4NW.

Wisbech took the lead but Wood equalised for South before half time.

Wisbech got two after the break, although South did have a goal disallowed as the initial strike was ruled too high. South remain second in the standings.​

Ben Hudson bagged a brace as City IV won 3-2 against Felixstowe in 2S.

Keir Dixon’s drag flick gave them the lead but Philip Dickinson was shown a yellow card which meant they had to dig deep.

Hudson converted a corner to make it 2-0, but Felixstowe pulled a goal back.

Hudson restored the two-goal advantage, and Felixstowe’s second was a consolation.

Read more

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More