Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Cambridge City make it six Northern Premier League games unbeaten with victory over Daventry Town

More news, no ads


Mikey Davis scored for Cambridge City against Daventry Town. Picture: Keith Heppell
Mikey Davis scored for Cambridge City against Daventry Town. Picture: Keith Heppell

Cambridge City made it six games unbeaten in the Northern Premier League, Midlands Division with a 3-1 win over Daventry Town.

Mikey Davis scored in the first half at Bridge Road, and Jarid Robson and Ryan Swift were on target after the break as the Lilywhites made it five win from their last six league games.

City made a rapid start, with Davis having a chance at the back post after 49 seconds, but he headed the cross narrowly wide.

A very bobbly pitch made it hard for either side to get into any rhythm, and it meant chances were at a premium.

There was then a long stoppage around the 20th minute.

Referee Thomas Hancock suffered a calf injury, and it meant that assistant referee Ian Pascu had to take over in the middle.

Matt Mee, City's under-18 manager and a qualified official, stepped out of the crowd, literally putting down a cup of tea, to take over on the other touchline.

When the game got going again, City made a slower start than their opponents, who went close to scoring through George Ball's header at the near post which ended up going wide.

There was then a vital interception at the back post by City's Matty Miles to deny a cross reaching Taylor Orosz.

The deaadlock was broken four minutes later, in the 36th minute, by Davis.

Swift put in a lot of the leg work, breaking from just inside the Daventry half and driving forward before passing across the D for Davis, who drilled in a shot at the near post, and it remained 1-0 at half time.

After a fairly tepid opening after the break, the game sprung to life on the hour and it was City that were leading a bit of a charmed life.

Daventry's Jeff Woodward headed over the bar and two minutes later, it seemed certain the visitors had equalised.

Joel Nketia flicked on a ball into the box and Woodward was on the end of it, but from nowhere City keeper Dan George managed to get the ball clear off the line.

The late-arriving Tom Lorraine blazed a good chance over the bar, and then George denied Nat Gosnal-Tyler with his feet at the back post.

The free kick count was rising against City and forcing them to defend their box with all their might, and it just felt they needed to regain their composure.

A stoppage for treatment for George seemed to allow that time for City to regather their thoughts as they then enjoyed a spell of more possession, culminating in Jarid Robson firing over at the front post.

Five minutes later, Robson did double City's lead.

A great ball by Ben Bradley picked out the run of Robson, who brilliantly lobbed the advancing Daventry keeper James Martin.

It was 3-0 three minutes later.

Bradley was played through at the edge of the box and beat the on-rushing Martin, however, his shot seemed to be heading wide at the back post before Swift applied the finish.

Daventry got a late consolation, in the fourth minute of added time, with a header in off the post from Dylan Wilson.

It was a deserved win for City, after they had overcome that rocky patch around the hour-mark, and makes it seven unbeaten in all competitions, including their win over Wisbech Town in the Cambridgeshire Invitation Cup.

Cambridge City: George, Miles, Wren, Bridges, Gent, Parr, Swift, Bradley, Ingrey, Robson, Davis.

Substitutes: Maynard (Ingrey, 45), Wood (Wren, 87), Haynes (Robson, 89). Not used: Ofosu, Barker.

Daventry Town: Martin, Coleman, Burgess, Andrews, Woodward, Childs, Ball, Nketia, Bowen, Lorraine, Orosz.

Substitutes: Gosnal-Tyler (Orosz, 45), McNeil (Coleman, 78), Wilson (Childs, 78). Not used: Harris.

Referee: Thomas Hancock.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More