Home   Sport   Article

Cambridge City suffer Barton Rovers upset

Ryan Towner hit the stanchion for Cambridge City against Barton Rovers. Picture: Rich Marsham
Ryan Towner hit the stanchion for Cambridge City against Barton Rovers. Picture: Rich Marsham

Lilywhites undone by late goal

Cambridge City’s hopes of grabbing a home game in the Evo-Stik League, South East Division play-offs suffered a blow after an 89th minute goal earned Barton Rovers a 1-0 win at Westwood Road.

The Lilywhites had already confirmed their spot in the end of season shoot-out, but they were hoping to make up ground to give themselves a chance of taking third or fourth place.

However, former City man Andrew Phillips pounced in the closing stages to secure strugglers Barton a valuable win.

It was probably one of the youngest City teams for many a year, with Adam Capel, Harry England and Isaac Maynard all drafted into the starting line-up.

They certainly did not look out of place as the Lilywhites made all the running, but the only thing that was lacking was a goal.

It almost arrived in the third minute though, when Maynard got to the by-line and pulled a ball back for Ryan Sharman, but his effort thundered off the bar and over.

Good work by England saw him square a pass for Ben Seymour-Shove in the 11th minute, but his 25-yard effort went wide.

Barton were proving a stubborn side to breakdown, and it was crying out for City to try to stretch them to go round them, but they were just unable to make that work.

Michael Gyasi was a threat for Barton with his pace and skills, and flashed a couple of efforts off target of Josh Bexon’s goal.

A double quick ricochet from Jack Vasey and Seymour-Shove ended up with the ball going wide in the 17th minute.

The final chance of the half was a lofted effort from Maynard which keeper Daniel Gould gathered at the second attempt.

Barton made the brighter start to the second half, and Henry Snee hit a curling effort low to Bexon’s left that the keeper did well to get down to to turn behind for a corner.

City were not as dominant as in the first half, but Towner shot wide and Vasey had two headed efforts go off target.

The visitors almost snatched a goal when Daniel Jarvis volleyed into the ground at the edge of the area, but it clipped the base of the post and bounced wide.

Towner almost gave City the lead with four minutes remaining, however his effort from just inside the area rocketed against the stanchion of the bar and post.

Barton had looked dangerous on the counter, and they made it pay in the 89th minute as Phillips was played into the area and made no mistake with his finish.

It means that it will now be a tough ask for City to get third or fourth place, so they are likely to face an away trip in the play-offs.

Cambridge City: Bexon, Paterson, England, Maynard, Gent, Capel, Seymour-Shove, Towner, Wilson, Sharman, Vasey.

Substitutes: Harradine (Sharman, 61), Nelson-Addy (Vasey, 72), Hall (Wilson, 74). Not used: Auger, Theobald.

Barton Rovers: Gould, Keating, Harrison, Alban-Jones, Andrews, Newton, Jarvis, Hayford, Phillips, Snee, Gyasi.

Substitutes: Fontenelle (Hayford, 59). Not used : Nasuri, Parsons, Beesley, Hilliard.

Referee : George Byrne.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More