Home   Sport   Article

Difficult run continues for Cambridge City with defeat to Sutton Coldfield Town

Cambridge City’s difficult run of form continued as they suffered a 2-0 defeat to Sutton Coldfield Town in Evo-Stik League South, Division One Central.

The Lilywhites handed debuts to four new signings – Jamie Head, Seb Simpson, Keano Robinson and Matty Baxter – and had a fifth, Mickey Davies, on the bench.

The new faces appeared to instantly gel as City made a promising start, taking the game to the visitors and winning a couple of corners inside the first three minutes.

However, for all of their good build-up play, they were lacking the final ball.

It seemed to be a combination of factors as the precision and last pass in the area was not there, but credit must also go to Sutton Coldfield, who were resilient and resolute in defence with a no-nonsense approach.

There was then a sucker punch for City as the visitors took the lead in the 16th minute.

Ryan Nesbitt was prowling around at the edge of the box, but Adam Capel appeared confident that he would be able to get a defensive header back to keeper Head.

However, it lacked the necessary power and fell to Nesbitt, who produced a neat, cool finish to beat the advancing keeper..

City seemed to retreat into their shells a little bit as passes went astray and they battled against the backline to get good service in to striker James Hall.

Mitchell Clarke was presented with a good chance for Coldfield in the 27th minute, but blazed over the bar from just inside the area.

Then, a good burst of pace down the left saw Johnathan Letford get into the area and his ball across eventually fell to Ben George and his chance was cleared off the line by Simpson as it remained 1-0 at half time.

With the first meaningful chance of the second half, Coldfield doubled their lead.

A long throw into the area was met at the front post by Lee Smith, who looped a back header over Head and into the net.

Coldfield continued to be a tough nut to crack, with James Mutton particularly catching the eye.

City almost reduced the arrears out of nothing as Simpson’s cross from wide on the left hit the top of the bar and bounced clear.

The Lilywhites were having the majority of territory and possession, but just struggling to test keeper Lewis Gwilliams, while Coldfield looked dangerous on the counter attack.

There was no lack of endeavour from City and they played some good football, it was just that final ball that proved costly in limiting their sights at goal.

Cambridge City: Head, B Robinson, S Simpson, J Simpson, Capel, K Robinson, Baxter, Maynard, Hall, Sharman, Whitehead.

Substitutes: Davies (Whitehead, 56), Towner (J Simpson,66), Paterson (Sharman, 76). Not used: England, Midgley.

Sutton Coldfield Town: Gwilliams, George, Curtis, Smith, Mutton, Beresford, Letford, Clarke, Nesbitt, Moore, Hearsey.

Substitutes: Palmer (Moore, 75), Hurst (Hearsey, 76), Onyeuld (Nesbitt, 86). Not used: Amartey, Male.

Booking: City – Whitehead (foul, 49).

Referee: Alistair Wilson.

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More