Home   Sport   Article

Cambridge United and Swindon Town battle out goalless draw in Sky Bet League Two

George Taft had a header cleared off the line for Cambridge United against Swindon Town.
George Taft had a header cleared off the line for Cambridge United against Swindon Town.

Nothing could separate Cambridge United and Swindon Town as the sides battled out a 0-0 draw in Sky Bet League Two at the Abbey Stadium.

There was plenty at stake at either end of the table as the U's sought the win to ensure their safety for the season, while the Robins were in need of a win to keep their play-off hopes alive.

Swindon started as the more dominant force in the first 20 minutes, with Kyle Bennett doing well to wriggle free into the box and then set up the unmarked Kaiyne Woolery, but his attempted curling effort went over the bar.

A 30-yard effort from Woolery swerved in mid-flight but Dimi Mitov adjusted his feet well to push the effort clear.

United started to get more into their stride and, in the 22nd minute, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy did well to collect in the area and drift outside the box before firing an effort wide.

In the 32nd minute, Jabo Ibehre got the ball with his back to goal and then turned in the area before hitting a shot straight at Swindon keeper Luke McCormick.

Michael Doughty came to Swindon’s rescue in the 35th minute, clearing a George Taft header from a corner off the line at the far post.

The final chance of the half fell to Swindon right-back Kyle Knoyle, but his shot inside the area was easy for Mitov.

It was a spirited start to the second half from United.

Ibehre burst through into the area but as he was caught in two minds, he was crowded out and Swindon cleared to safety.

Mitov had to be alert to save lowdown at his front post to deny Woolery in the 51st minute.

David Amoo broke into the area in the 57th minute but McCormick saved at his front post and then got the rebound behind away as well.

In the 71st minute, a fierce strike by Doughty was well dealt with by Mitov.

United’s best chance of the half came in the 80th minute.

A brilliant inswinging cross by Hayden Coulson reached Ibehre at the back post but somehow a defender got in front of the U’s striker to help it over the bar for a corner.

Mitov produced a superb full-length flying save to stop Doughty’s 25-yard free kick in the 85th minute.

It proved to be the final chance of the half, and a point will have probably suited United more than Swindon, given the latter's chase for promotion.

Cambridge United: Mitov, Halliday, Taft, Taylor, Dunk, Deegan, Amoo, Brown, Lambe, Ibehre, Hepburn-Murphy.

Substitutes: Coulson (Hepburn-Murphy, 65), Lewis (Amoo, 65), John (Lambe, 87). Not used: Forde, Carroll, Darling, Davies.

Swindon Town: McCormick, Knoyle, Doughty, Anderson, House, Woolery, Conroy, Koiki, Eose, Woolfenden, Bennett.

Substitutes: Robinson (House, 62), Dunne (Rose, 62), Richards (Anderson, 76). Not used: Henry, McCourt, Lancashire, Broadbent.

Referee: Brett Huxtable.

Bookings: Swindon - Dunne (foul, 78).

Attendance: 4,380 (away 574).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More