Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Cambridge United bring an end to Ipswich Town's long unbeaten run in Sky Bet League One

Paul Digby rises to win a header for Cambridge United against Ipswich Town. Picture: Simon Lankester (55843420)
Paul Digby rises to win a header for Cambridge United against Ipswich Town. Picture: Simon Lankester (55843420)

An own goal clinched Cambridge United a memorable victory to end Ipswich Town's 11-game unbeaten run in Sky Bet League Two.

The only goal of the game came in the 56th minute through Ipswich's on-loan defender Dominic Thompson, and it was a severe dent in the hosts' hopes of earning a top-six place.

Thompson was pressured by Joe Ironside into sending a far post header beyond his own goalkeeper in what proved to be the decisive moment to spark celebrations among the 2,000 United fans that made the relatively short trip to Portman Road.

Kieran McKenna's side saw the vast majority of the ball but were unable to make it count, Dimitar Moitov largely producing comfortable saves throughout, aside from a good block to deny James Norwood.

McKenna made two changes to the side which impressively ended Plymouth Argyle's winning streak at Portman Road last weekend with Tom Carroll and Conor Chaplin coming in for Tyreeq Bakinson and Sone Aluko.

Mark Bonner went with an unchanged starting line-up from the side who ended a five-game run without a win with a 1-0 victory at AFC Wimbledon seven days ago.

Inside the opening three minutes both goalkeepers had comfortable saves to make from long-range efforts from Bersant Celina and Sam Smith.

Town began to dominate the ball but the U's were happy to sit in and restrict their passes to near the halfway line as they looked for a way through their compact lines.

The U's began to enjoy some pressure of their own and had the ball in the net through Ironside's far post conversion in the 16th minute only for the offside flag to halt their celebrations.

The visitors were growing in confidence and only a good tip-over save from Christian Walton denied George Williams' header while Adam May saw a fierce effort blocked by Luke Woolfenden.

Town began to assert their influence on the game again and just past the half-hour mark a Conor Chaplin cross found Celina but his header was straight at Mitov with a Sam Morsy shot on the run likewise.

The half came to a close with a Chaplin shot from inside the area deflecting up for a comfortable save while The U's last foray forward saw them anger the home fans over the time it took to take a corner.

United drew the first save of the second half with Walton pushing Lloyd Jones' header round his post while, up the other end, Norwood was close to connecting to a Chaplin ball across the area.

Mckenna's side tried a couple of long-range efforts with Wes Burns not far off target with a powerful effort.

Cambridge United players celebrate their goal against Ipswich Town. Picture: Simon Lankester (55843418)
Cambridge United players celebrate their goal against Ipswich Town. Picture: Simon Lankester (55843418)

But they fell behind in the 56th minute following Luke Woolfenden bringing down Harvey Knibbs on the left-hand side. May delivered a hanging cross to the back post and Thompson, trying to hold off the threat of Ironside, sent a stooping header into his own net.

The Town boss reacted by soon bringing on Macauley Bonne and Sone Aluko in a shift to a 3-4-1-2 formation.

And there was almost a quick reward as Norwood brought down a raking Woolfenden pass before seeing his angled effort from inside the area smartly blocked by Mitov.

Bonne was soon in the thick of the action, sending a looping header just over the angle before calling in vein for a penalty.

Up the other end the U's almost doubled their advantage when Ironside picked up on a loose ball inside the area, following a free kick delivery, before lashing it wide.

Morsy who scored his first Portman Road goal last weekend, went close to the leveller with a fierce 20-yard effort that Mitov deflected back out.

Woolfenden was struggling to contain the counter-attacking threat from Knibbs and Cameron Burgess had to come to the home side's rescue with a last-ditch challenge after he had broke through.

Despite Town's late efforts, which saw an offside flag go up as Norwood was about to convert a knock back from Woolfenden to a far post free kick, and a handball shout against Harrison Dunk, there was no way back.

Boos rang round Portman Road at full-time, directed at the referee, while the players' frustration spilled over with several having to be pulled away from confrontations with their opposite numbers.

Ipswich Town: Walton, Woolfenden, Burns, Norwood, Chaplin (Bonne 65), Thompson (Penney 73), Carroll (Aluko 65), Burgess, Celina, Donacien, Morsy.

Booked: Norwood (39min). Donacien (75), Woolfenden (85').

Cambridge United: Mitov, Williams, Digby, Jones, Brophy, Ironside, Smith, Dunk, Okedina, May, Knibbs.

Booked: Smith (39), Dunk (81).

Attendance: 25, (2,007 away)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More