Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Cambridge United cause Carabao Cup upset by knocking out 10-man Millwall

More news, no ads


Liam O'Neil, who scored for Cambridge United against Millwall. Picture: Simon Lankester (58400144)
Liam O'Neil, who scored for Cambridge United against Millwall. Picture: Simon Lankester (58400144)

Liam O'Neil fired Cambridge United to an upset over Championship side Millwall in the Carabao Cup, first round at the Abbey Stadium.

The midfielder smashed the only goal of the game from the edge of the area in the 59th minute, and they were helped a minute later when Lions midfielder George Honeyman was sent off for a second bookable offence.

It was a nondescript first half.

There were very few chances of note for either side, with Shaun Hutchinson and Ryan Leonard heading wide for Millwall.

At the other end, United's first sight of goal was an effort over the bar from the edge of the box by Brandon Haunstrup.

The most exciting moment of the first 45 minutes was when Millwall's Honeyman pulled down United's Shilow Tracey just inside his own half, with the hosts' player having knocked the ball past his opponent and was certain to win the race to get their first.

There was a far brighter start to the second half.

Millwall substitute Isaac Olaofe turned his marker deep inside the United half and burst into the area before firing into the side netting.

Lions' captain Murray Wallace attempted to place a curling shot into the far corner from the edge of the box, but United skipper Greg Taylor did well to guide the ball over the bar with his head.

The breakthrough arrived in the 59th minute.

A flowing move led by Tracey on the right saw play moved inside to Jack Lankester and on one more again to Liam O'Neil, who struck a first-time shot into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Millwall's cause was made even harder two minutes later, when Honeyman was sent off for a second yellow card for an identical offence to his first, this time pulling back Lankester.

United had Will Mannion to thank in the 76th minute as a weak pass was seized upon by Olaofe, who burst into the area but the United keeper stood tall to deny the Millwall man.

A minute later, Olaofe had a header hit the bar, though it was deemed to have got a slight deflection as a corner was awarded to the visitors.

With an extra player, it was a question of how well United could see out the game, and they did that really well.

The hosts restricted balls into the box, with the odd exception, and if it did reach the area, then Mannion looked assured.

United had a chance to put the game to bed in the fifth minute of stoppage time after a flowing move down the left, with James Brophy putting the ball past the last man for Sam Smith, but with just the keeper to beat, he blazed over.

However, thankfully for United they had done the hard work by that point to secure progress to the second round.

Cambridge United: Mannion, Williams, Ibsen Rossi, Haunstrup, Simper, O'Neil, Lankester, Tracey, Janneh, Ironside.

Subs: Okedina (Williams, 45), Smith (Ironside, 64), Brophy (Tracey, 68), Digby (O'Neil, 74), Worman (Simper, 74). Not used: Holden, Jones.

Millwall: Long, McNamara, Wallace, Hutchinson, Evans, Bradshaw, Cresswell, Leonard, Bennett, Saville, Honeyman.

Subs: Olaofe (Bradshaw, 4), Malone (Wallace 64). Not used: Bialkowski, Cooper, Afobe, Mitchell, Burey, Shackleton, Topalloj.

Referee: Charles Breakspear.

Attendance: 3,368 (away 783).

Bookings: Cambridge United - Janneh (foul,77). Millwall - Honeyman (foul, 31; foul, 61).

Red card: Millwall - Honeyman (two yellow cards, 61).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More