Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Cambridge United earn point against Fleetwood Town at the Abbey

More news, no ads


Paul Digby in action for Cambridge United against Fleetwood Town. Picture: Simon Lankester (51594683)
Paul Digby in action for Cambridge United against Fleetwood Town. Picture: Simon Lankester (51594683)

Cambridge United were held to a 2-2 draw by Fleetwood Town at the Abbey in Sky Bet League One.

They made the worst possible start to the game in the third minute, as Jordan Rossiter's shot on goal was deflected behind for a corner which was then headed into the net by James Hill to give Fleetwood the lead.

The U's made a good response to going behind, with James Brophy firing over the bar from outside the area.

They got close to getting an equaliser through an audacious attempted lob by Paul Digby that flew just past the post.

It was all square in the 34th minute though.

Adam May got his first goal of the season, smashing a powerful shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

And United almost took a lead into half time, with Jack Iredale's 25-yard free kick forcing Fleetwood keeper Alex Cairns to turn the ball round the post for a corner.

United did not have to wait long into the second half to get that second.

A great run and pass from the left by Iredale found Shilow Tracey in the six-yard box to tap past Cairns in the 51st minute.

Fleetwood that made it 2-2 in the 75th minute.

Paddy Lane was fed the ball by Callum Camps on the left, and he cut past the defender before unleashing a fierce drive into the net.

It was United's third draw of the season, and they will go again at the Abbey on Tuesday night, when Gillingham are the visitors.

Read more

Joe Ironside carries the mantle of a traditional No 9 at Cambridge United

Leon Davies return to action among highlights from Cambridge United’s win over Spurs under-21s

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More