Home   Sport   Article

Cambridge United produce promising display in defeat to Millwall

George Taft went close for Cambridge United against Millwall.
George Taft went close for Cambridge United against Millwall.

U's impress in friendly defeat to Lions

Cambridge United produced an encouraging performance only to eventually lose 2-0 to Sky Bet Championship side Millwall in a pre-season friendly at the Abbey Stadium.

It was an enjoyable first half, which saw the U’s largely on top.

Head coach Joe Dunne has carefully managed the minutes of the squad this pre-season, and it was evident again after their 3-0 draw with Braintree Town on Friday night, when Jabo Ibehre, Tom Knowles and Ade Azeez were on target for the U’s.

George Taft was on his way down as he managed to get a shot away that was blocked for a corner in the 13th minute.

The U’s were exerting the pressure, and their corner count was on the rise throughout the half.

In the 26th minute, Azeez met a David Amoo cross on the volley, and it went narrowly over the bar.

A minute later, Greg Taylor stabbed an effort towards goal that Jordan Archer had to dive low to push round the post.

Another promising attack in the 35th minute saw Reggie Lambe drive narrowly wide from just outside the box.

David Forde had been an observer for most of the first half, but in the 37th minute was called into action to make a double save at close range from Lee Gregory, after good work into the area by Jed Wallace.

The final chance of the half fell to Taylor, but his effort on the turn was blocked wide.

The second half started in the same spirit, with United making much of the running.

In the 59th minute, a good break by Azeez led to the ball being laid off at the edge of the box to Knowles, but his side-footed effort was easy for Archer.

A minute later, Lambe broke clear from halfway and sprinted towards goal, laying the ball on a plate to Knowles, who this time side-footed wide from an almost identical position.

Millwall were becoming more of a force on the game though, and the deadlock was finally broken in the 74th minute.

Jake Cooper headed a corner down and against the bar, but the rebound fell to former U Tom Elliott at the back post to nod home from close range.

They doubled the lead in the 81st minute, with Aiden O’Brien delivering a tantalising cross that Cooper rose highest to reach, and although Forde got a hand to the ball, he could not keep it out.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More