Home   Sport   Article

Cambridge United suffer defeat to Mansfield Town in Sky Bet League Two

Cambridge Uniteds George Maris
Cambridge Uniteds George Maris

Stags get the better of the U's

Cambridge United’s long unbeaten run was brought to an end with a 3-1 defeat to Mansfield Town at the Cambs Glass Stadium.

It was very much a stop-start affair in the first half of the Sky Bet League Two match, with neither team really able to get in full flow.

Shaquile Coulthirst had the first chance of the match in the sixth minute, but despite being in a good position inside the six-yard box, his side-footed effort was tame and easy for Will Norris.

The deadlock was broken three minutes later, as a deep cross from the right by Piero Mingoia saw George Maris rise highest at the back post to give Mansfield keeper Jake Kean no chance.

However, it was all square minutes before the break with a goal out of nothing.

It was an aimless ball into the area from the left and Rhys Bennett headed down at the edge, and Leon Legge’s sliced clearance inside the box went past Norris low to his left.

And Mansfield took the lead with the first meaningful chance of the second half.

A corner from the right by Joel Byrom saw Krystian Pearce given the chance to rise unopposed to head down and into the net.

Mansfield increased their lead in the 73rd minute when Hayden White’s shot was saved by Norris, but fell into the path of Coulthirst to put away the rebound.

And there was no way back for the U’s as they suffered their first league defeat in nine League One outings.

Cambridge United: Norris, Davies, Roberts, Legge, Carroll, Mingoia, Dunne, Clark, Maris, Berry, Ikpeazu.

Substitutes: McDonagh (Maris, 60), Lewis (Clark, 71). Not used: Gregory, Adams, Williamson, Wharton, McDonagh, Lewis, Newton.

Mansfield: Kean, White, Pearce, Bennett, Benning, Whiteman, Byrom, Collins, Hamilton, Rose, Coulthirst.

Substitutes: Thomas (Rose, 71), Hoban (Coulthirst, 87), Baxendale (Whiteman, 90+3). Not used: Shearer, Green, Arquin, Thomas, Hemmings.

Referee: Gavin Ward.

Bookings: Cambridge United – Dunne (foul, 19), Ikpeazu (dissent, 83).

Attendance: 4,211 (away 307).


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More