Home   Sport   Article

Cambridge United Women earn first win of new FA Women's National League, Division One South East season with victory over Kent Football United

Kelley Blanchflower was on target for the U's against Kent Football United. Picture: Keith Heppell
Kelley Blanchflower was on target for the U's against Kent Football United. Picture: Keith Heppell

Cambridge United Women earned their first win of the FA Women’s National League, Division One South East season by beating Kent Football United Ladies 3-1.

They made the perfect start as Amber Cantwell’s inswinging corner was headed towards goal by Albany Hodgson and captain Kayleigh-Anne Burt headed into the net.

Throughout the first half, Mollie Coupar and Kelley Blanchflower put pressure on the visitors defence and it was Coupar that doubled the lead in the 32nd minute.

She pounced on a mistake at the back to round the keeper, before calmly slotting into an empty net.

After the break, Kent Football got more into the game but fell further behind just after the hour when Blanchflower rifled a shot past the despairing dive of the Kent keeper.

The visitors had the final say, but it proved a consolation effort as the U’s clinched a 3-1 win.

There was no such joy for Cambridge City, who suffered a 4-0 defeat athome to AFC Basildon.

They had gone into the game high in confidence after putting together someencouraging displays.

But they were taught a lesson for their profligacy, and that goals are crucial at this level.

Holly Turner and Kelly Wealthall had put Basildon 2-0 up at half time as, despite possession being equal, the Lilywhites had not tested the visitors’ keeper.

It was a brighter start to the second half for City, forcing the Essex side to defend deeper. But Nicole Learner got a third for Basildon after the hour and they got a fourth goal just before the final whistle, showing the importance of capitalising on chances.

It came after the City and United earned their first points of the season in a 2-2 draw with each other last midweek.

Coupar put United ahead after two minutes, but Megan Tonks equalised for City midway through the half.

Tonks then put the Lilywhites ahead, only for Coupar to equalise for United.

United travel to Actonians Ladies this Sunday (September 15), with commentary available from Chris Walker at cwsportradio.com.

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More