Home   Sport   Article

Colin Calderwood gives update on Cambridge United captain Gary Deegan's recovery from blood poisoning

Cambridge United captain Gary Deegan. Picture: Keith Heppell
Cambridge United captain Gary Deegan. Picture: Keith Heppell

Gary Deegan is making positive progress in his long fight back to good health at Cambridge United.

The 31-year-old captain suffered a serious illness during pre-season, spending 10 days in hospital after three operations to deal with blood poisoning.

And U's head coach Colin Calderwood provided an update on the midfielder.

“Gary was at the game (against Scunthorpe on Tuesday), and a week on Thursday he will be back in," said Calderwood.

“He’s coming off using crutches, but way, way down on energy levels and you can see he has lost quite a bit of muscle mass on his legs.

“He’s beginning to feel better but after any illness or infection, once he’s done something I think he still remains pretty tired."

While Deegan may not be at the training ground, he has remained an influential part of the group.

“He’s always in contact with the boys and always being a captain from afar," said Calderwood.

“It’s a number of weeks even before he will get back to us.

"It’s a really unusual situation and one I certainly haven’t encountered before. But, knowing Gary and the way he is and how thorough about his dedication to being a professional footballer, what he eats and how he lives, we’ve just got to make sure he’s not so eager that he comes back and gets stopped.

“He’s in good care with Mikey (Burroughs, the U's head of medical services), Matt (Walker, head of performance) and the doctor here, and we will do our utmost to get him back and be hopefully in the right position where his position will be very useful."

More by this author

This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More