Home   Sport   Article

David Amoo goal gives Cambridge United victory over Port Vale

David Amoo scored for Cambridge United against Port Vale. Picture: Keith Heppell
David Amoo scored for Cambridge United against Port Vale. Picture: Keith Heppell

David Amoo was Cambridge United’s match winner for the second home game in a row as they defeated Port Vale 1-0 in Sky Bet League Two.

The right winger scored a deflected 19th-minute goal that proved enough to give the U’s a third straight victory at the Abbey Stadium.

In an evenly-contested game, it was a lively first half that was edged by the hosts.

Port Vale seemed to get into their stride that bit quicker than the U’s as Antony Kay blazed an effort over from 20 yards, and then a scuffed shot fell to Tom Pope in the area, but he was denied from just outside the six-yard stop by a smart save from Dimitar Mitov.

Once the hosts got going though, there was no looking back.

A great curling cross by Jevani Brown was met by Rushian Hepbourn-Murphy for was seemed set to be a certain goal, but Vale keeper Scott Brown produced a brilliant save on his goal-line to maintain the deadlock.

However, the U’s only had to wait another four minutes before going ahead.

David Amoo cut in off the right wing and from just inside the area unleashed a shot which took a deflection to leave Brown rooted to the spot as it flew in at the near post.

A superb block by George Taft denied Vale a sight of goal in the 22nd minute, and when the U’s broke down the other end, George Maris almost doubled the lead from just inside the area, but his shot took another deflection that this time carried it wide.

The final opening of the first period fell to Vale’s Mark Harris, who created space for himself in the area but his shot was easy for Mitov.

United had much of the territorial advantage and possession in the second half, but it was Port Vale that had the most dangerous chances.

In the 57th minute, James Gibbons’ ball into the box was met by Luke Hannant, who looked to guide a shot into the bottom corner, but Mitov was equal to it with a one-handed save.

Hannant let fly from the edge of the box in the 77th minute but his effort went narrowly over the bar.

Mitov was then called into action again in the 84th minute, doing well at full-length to deny Kay’s 25-yard half-volley from going into the top corner.

And that was the last of the goalmouth action as United closed out another vital victory.

Cambridge United: Mitov, Halliday, Taft, Taylor, Carroll, Amoo, Deegan, Maris, Brown, Ibehre, Hepburn-Murphy.

Substitutes: Jones (Ibehre, 66), Lambe (Hepburn-Murphy, 66), Doyle-Hayes (Amoo, 79). Not used: Pilkington, Dunk, Darling, Coulson.

Port Vale: Brown, Gibbons, Joyce, Kay, Pope, Hannant, Rawlinson, Crookes, Smith, Harris, Clark.

Substitutes: Montano (Harris, 71), Whitfield (Gibbons, 86). Not used: Hornby, Legge, Worrall, Conlon, Turner.

Booking: United – Brown (foul, 60), Carroll (foul, 60); Port Vale – Kay (foul, 31).

Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge.

Attendance: 4,193 (away 311).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More