Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Difficult starts for Cambridge City and Histon in Northern Premier League

Cambridge City and Histon have both lost their first two games in the Northern Premier League, Midlands division
Cambridge City and Histon have both lost their first two games in the Northern Premier League, Midlands division

Cambridge City have started life in the Pitching In Northern Premier League, Midlands division with two defeats.

The Lilywhites played host to Halesowen at Bridge Road last Saturday, and suffered a 2-1 defeat.

Lewis Wright gave the visitors the lead in the 14th minute with a low shot past keeper Dan George, but City responded almost immediately, with Tom Hitchcock lobbing Halesowen’s Daniel Platt.

It was a bit of a goal rush as Halesowen went back in front through Kyle Finn, who broke clear of the defence to score.

It remained 2-1 at half time, and despite City pressing for an equaliser in the second half, with Hitchcock testing Platt, they could not get back on level terms.

It was a quick turnaround for City as they then made the trip to Coleshill Town on Monday night.

After a goalless first half, the hosts took the lead in the 55th minute.

Amarvir Sandu was fouled in the area, and Kai Tonge stepped up to tuck away the penalty.

Coleshill made it 2-0 soon after the restart as Joe Phillips seized on an opportunity to power the ball into the net.

City rallied and reduced the deficit in the 68th minute, with Mikey Davis brilliantly volleying in a cross from Ryan Swift.

Luke Knight and Collins Nwakor both went close to getting an equaliser for City, but they were unsuccessful as it proved to be a second 2-1 defeat in three days.

Things did not fare too well for Histon either, as they were beaten 2-1 at Belper Town last Saturday.

There were a host of debutants for the Stutes, with Josh Francis, Sam Collison, Bubba Camara, Victor Garcia and Bahador Chizari all in the starting line-up, and Luke Lindsay, Alex Stevens-Lee and Bernat Burguera on the bench.

The deadlock was broken in the 43rd minute, when Jonathan Margetts curled in a free kick from out wide on the right.

Histon were back on level terms in the 70th minute. A neat passing move down the right saw 17-year-old Stevens-Lee, a graduate from the Stutes’ under-18 side, guide his shot beyond the despairing dive of the keeper.

But within a minute of the restart, Belper went back in front through Nathan Curtis at a corner.

Histon then suffered a 4-2 defeat at home to Daventry Town on Tuesday night.

They were 3-0 adrift before Josh Dawkin tapped home to reduce the arrears at half time.

Daventry got another goal in the 58th minute, and there was a late consolation for Evan Key in the 87th minute, bundling home from close range.

Both City and Histon are in FA Cup action this Saturday (August 21).

Histon are away to Newport Pagnell Town in the preliminary round, while City are away to Daventry Town.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More