Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Euan Gilmour and Josh Webb on target for Cambridge City in draw with Spencer in Men's Hockey League

Euan Gilmour in action for Cambridge City against Spencer. Picture: Keith Heppell
Euan Gilmour in action for Cambridge City against Spencer. Picture: Keith Heppell

Cambridge City were held to a draw in their first match after the winter break in the Men’s Hockey League, Conference East.

They hosted Spencer at Wilberforce Road, and fell behind to a seventh minute goal from Will Devitt.

Euan Gilmour equalised for City in the 13th minute, and they went 2-1 up before half time through Josh Webb.

But Spencer drew level at the start of the second half through Neil Hamilton and it finished 2-2.

City II welcomed back newly-wed skipper Sam Rutter with a 2-1 win over Wapping II as they leapfrogged their opponents into second place in East Hockey League, Premier A.

Cambridge South ground out a 2-1 win over Division One bottom side Wisbech in a scrappy match.

The visitors made the better start, but were not creating chances as the South defence, led by Stuart Rimmer, stood firm.

Mark Williams was denied by a double save for South, but they finally scored through man-of-the-match Sam Highfield’s simple finish after a penalty corner.

Wisbech were back on level terms by half time though, having been gifted an equaliser.

South improved after the break and their persistence was rewarded when Highfield deflected home a difficult chance with an instinctive finish at the far post.

Henry Campbell in action for Cambridge City III. Picture: Simon Webb (28325511)
Henry Campbell in action for Cambridge City III. Picture: Simon Webb (28325511)

Henry Campbell struck the winning goal in a barnstorming finish as City III won 4-3 against top-of-the-table Wapping III.

They were dominating without taking their chances while they were punished for any errors, with Wapping going 2-0 up.

Sam Grimshaw hit a penalty-corner drag-flick to reduce the arrears just before half time.

Cards flew in the second half – Wapping spent a total of 17 minutes reduced to 10 players – but they went 3-1 up.

City got a second and, with three minutes remaining, Mike Balding slid in to deflect Campbell’s pass home from a narrow angle to make it 3-3.

Campbell then took control of a penalty corner, and scored the winner with a reverse-stick shot from out wide.

Philip Dickinson and Ben Hudson were on target for City IV as they drew 2-2 with Wapping IV in 2S.

South II’s faint hopes of promotion ended with a 4-1 defeat to Cambridge University III in 3NW.

The pace and movement of the hosts tested the South defence from the outset, but they held firm, with keeper Naka Adigwe making a good stop on his second-team debut.

South took the lead against the run of play at the end of the first half, as skipper James Menzies’ lofted ball to the far post was volleyed in by Ollie Lamming.

The students levelled after the break, and went on to complete their win in the final 20 minutes.

City V struggled to raise a team but sent a squad of players on the five-hour round-trip to Louth in 4NW, the fifth team in four weeks from the club to make the journey, where they
lost 5-0.

Adam Cately’s late goal-line clearance helped South III to a 2-2 draw at City of Peterborough V in 4NW.

As the teams went toe-to-toe in a good-paced game, George Anderson and Rob Hartle scored for South.

They were probably happier with a point after man-of-the-match Cately’s late intervention denied Peterborough a winner.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More