Home   Sport   Article

Forest Green Rovers fightback to send Cambridge United to defeat at the Abbey

Jevani Brown scored the opener for Cambridge United against Forest Green Rovers. Picture: Keith Heppell
Jevani Brown scored the opener for Cambridge United against Forest Green Rovers. Picture: Keith Heppell

Rovers get two second-half goals to beat U's

Cambridge United suffered a 3-1 defeat to Forest Green Rovers at the Abbey Stadium in Sky Bet League Two.

Jevani Brown had given the U’s the lead in the 21st minute, but they were pegged back by goals from Paul Digby, Dayle Grubb and Matt Worthington.

After a quiet but evenly matched first 15 minutes, United got into their stride.

George Maris had two efforts comfortably held by the keeper, but the breakthrough arrived in the 21st minute.

Brown picked up the ball at the edge of the area and created space for himself to unleash a curling effort that left keeper Robert Sanchez rooted to the spot.

United had the ball in the back of the net again minutes later. Liam O’Neil got in down the right and cut the ball back for Reggie Lambe, who mis-kicked but it fell to Maris at the edge of the area.

The midfielder found the back of the net, but after the initial phase they had drifted into an offside position, and so the strike was ruled out.

From almost nothing, Forest Green were level in the 34th minute.

Greg Taylor fouled Tahvon Campbell and from Joseph Mills’ excellent inswinging free kick, Paul Digby rose unopposed to send a header in at the far post.

After the break, United made the brighter opening and Brad Halliday had a header easily held by Sanchez and the keeper had to be alert to react well down low to deny Jabo Ibehre from the edge of the area.

Sanchez was alert again to deny Brown, but in the same passage of play, Forest Green broke up the other end of the pitch and Campbell picked out Dayle Grubb just inside the area and he curled an inch-perfect shot in at the far post to give Forde no chance.

United had Jake Carroll to thank for Forest Green not increasing their lead in the 73rd.

After some poor defending in the area, the ball fell to Digby, but his goalbound shot was blocked by the left-back.

However, Carroll went from hero to villain three minutes later as he was shown a straight red card for a reckless challenge on Liam Shephard.

Forest Green grabbed their third goal in the 89th minute as Matt Worthington drilled a low shot from just outside the area into the bottom left corner of Forde’s goal.

Forde had to be alert to save at his near post from Grubb, and then United had a chance at the other end, with David Amoo being denied at close range by Sanchez.

With the final kick of the game, Winchester hammered a 25-yard effort against the bar.

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, John, Taylor, Carroll, Deegan, O’Neil, Maris, Lambe, Brown, Ibehre.

Substitutes: Amoo (O’Neil, 54), Azeez (Ibehre, 73), Corr (Brown, 78). Not used: Iron, Taft, Osadebe, Lewis.

Forest Green Rovers: Sanchez, Shephard, James, Rawson, Grubb, Brown, Campbell, McGinley, Digby, Mills, Reid.

Substitutes: Winchester (Brown, 62), Gunning (James, 69), Worthington (Rawson, 8). Not used: Montgomery, Williams, Archibald, Morris.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More