Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Cambridge City are pegged back to draw by Soham Town Rangers in Northern Premier League, Midlands Division

Cambridge City were held to a draw by Soham Town Rangers.
Cambridge City were held to a draw by Soham Town Rangers.

Cambridge City were left frustrated as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Soham Town Rangers in the Pitching In Northern Premier League, Midlands Division.

Ryan Ingrey had opened the scoring for the Lilywhites in the first half, but a penalty from Declan Rogers saw them pegged back at Bridge Road.

City were in control in the first half, rarely letting Soham get out of their own half.

The only thing lacking on too many occasions was the final product.

Ryan Swift had flashed in a cross in the 11th minute that Soham keeper Finley Iron pushed out, and that was a sign of the threat they posed down the right throughout the half.

The deadlock was broken a minute later.

A ball into the area was put back across the six-yard box by Taylor Parr, and although Mikey Davis could not get a definitive touch, Ingrey could and scored from close range.

It set the tone for the next half-hour and although it was one-sided on the pitch, the scoreline did not reflect that.

Ingrey had the ball in the net with a header, but it was deemed offside.

Davis did well to connect with a volley but it was collected comfortably by Iron, and then Yaw Ofosu powerfully headed narrowly over from a corner.

The one-way traffic continued, although Iron remained untested, as Swift hit a bouncing ball just wide from inside the area and then Ingrey put a chance on the turn just wide as it stayed 1-0 at half time.

City had further chances to extend their lead at the start of the second half.

An inswinging free kick from Davis was met at the front post by Tom Hitchcock, but his header cannoned back off the bar.

Ingrey then headed over for the hosts, but the hosts were made to pay for their profligacy in the 64th minute.

A long ball forward by Soham towards Joe Carden saw City keeper Dan George come rushing out of his box but was unable to make the clearance, and the cross was delivered into the area. Sam Bennett was waiting on the end of the delivery with an open goal, but was bundled over by defender Taylor Parr.

The City man was somewhat fortunate to only receive a yellow card, but Declan Rogers made no mistake with the penalty to strike it home for Soham's equaliser.

The Lilywhites went back on the front foot, and Jordan Gent had a header well saved down low at the back post by Iron.

City were racking up the corners, but they could just not make them tell, with Ingrey heading a cross over.

Max Ryan tried his luck for City with a 25-yard dipping effort that Iron did well to push out for a corner, but as time ticked on, it looked less likely that the hosts would get a winner.

With a late injury to Carden, there was a last flurry of activity for City with three corners in a row, the third of which Gent headed wide at the back post.

It means that both sides still seeking their first league wins in the new season, but City will be feeling this was one that got away.

Cambridge City: George, Ofosu, Simpson, Ryan, Gent, Parr, Swift, Rigby, Hitchcock, Ingrey, Davis.

Substitutes not used: Haynes, Barker, Smith.

Soham Town Rangers: Iron, Olive, McSkelly, Kaye, Connor, Watson, Bennett, Andrews, Ward, Conway, Rogers.

Substitutes: Carden (Ward, 59), Rhaman (Carden, 90+4). Not used: Sulman, James, Okay.

Referee: Alistair Wilson.

Bookings: Cambridge City - Parr (foul, 64), Ryan (foul, 68); Soham - Bennett (foul, 69), Kaye (foul, 75).

Attendance: 275.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More