Home   Sport   Article

Gallant Cambridge United put on proud show in FA Cup defeat to Leeds United

Cambridge Uniteds Uche Ikpeazu
Cambridge Uniteds Uche Ikpeazu

Leeds comeback prevents Cup shock

Two goals in eight second-half minutes saw Leeds United end Cambridge United’s hopes of causing an FA Cup, third round upset.

But Shaun Derry’s men will take great pride from their performance against the in-form Championship side, who were given a scare before securing their passage to a fourth-round clash with either Sutton United or AFC Wimbledon.

United’s energy was prominent from the first minute.

They were frenetic in their pressing and all over Leeds, giving them no time on the ball.

It was the visitors who had the first opportunity though, as Marcus Antonsson’s cross-cum-shot hit the bar.

From then on for much of the rest of the half, it was all the hosts.

Great work by Piero Mingoia to seize on an error outside the box saw him drive at the defence before passing to Ikpeazu, whose effort was easily held by Marco Silvestri.

Luke Berry hit a 35-yard free kick wide, and then came the breakthrough in the 25th minute.

Berry’s 20-yard free kick hit the wall, but it fell to Ikpeazu at the edge of the area, and the striker took a touch to get the ball away from the defender, and he fired in a low show which grazed the upright to beat Silvestri at his near post.

United remained the dominant force, only for Leeds to go close to an equaliser just before break.

Alex Mowatt’s dipping 25-yard effort was spectacularly tipped over by Will Norris, and the U’s keeper was then alert at point-blank range to deny Liam Cooper.

At the start of the second half, only an acrobatic stop from Silvestri prevented United doubling their lead.

The Leeds keeper had flapped at a corner which fell to James Dunne at the edge of the box, and his falling, hooked effort seemed to be dropping in before Silvestri got his fingers to it.

Leeds were back on level terms when Mowatt sent over a terrific cross from the by-line to the back post and Stuart Dallas headed back across the goal to give Norris no chance.

And in the 64th minute, Leeds went ahead.

A deep corner by Dallas was met at the back post by Pontus Jansson, who seemed to head the ball down and on to the head of Mowatt and the midfielder steered his header past Norris into the net.

United did not have many more clear-cut opportunities, but there was a glimmer of a chance when Mingoia’s long-range shot was spilled by Silvestri, however, the ball was cleared as Ben Williamson waited to pounce.

So it was not to be the upset that the U’s dreamed of producing, but all the home fans leaving the Cambs Glass Stadium will have done so with great pride at the performance their team had produced.

Cambridge United: Norris, Taylor, Legge, Roberts, Adams, Mingoia, Dunne, Newton, Clark, Berry, Ikpeazu.

Subs: Dunk (Newton, 66). Not used: Gregory, Williamson, Maris, Pigott, Davies, Darling.

Leeds: Silvestri, Denton, Cooper, Jansson, Berardi, Grimes, Phillips, Mowatt, Dallas, Doukara, Antonsson.

Subs: Coyle (Beradi, 45), Roofe (Doukara, 58), Bartley (Cooper, 71). Not used: Green, Wood, O’Kane, Vieira.

Bookings: Cambridge United – None; Leeds – Phillips (foul, 23), Jansson (dissent, 24), Berardi (foul, 29).

Referee: Craig Pawson.

Attendance: 7,972 (away 1,440).


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More