Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Histon suffer defeat after Soham Town Rangers fightback in Northern Premier League, Midlands Division

More news, no ads


Bahador Chizari set up Histon's first goal against Soham Town Rangers. Picture: Mark Hopkin (51593406)
Bahador Chizari set up Histon's first goal against Soham Town Rangers. Picture: Mark Hopkin (51593406)

Three second-half goals sent Histon to a 4-2 defeat against Soham Town Rangers in an eventful match in the Pitching In Northern Premier League, Midlands Division.

The visitors had gone in front, but Histon fought back to lead 2-1 at the break, only for Soham to score three more times in the second period

There was nothing between the teams in the early exchanges, with neither side able to create any openings of real note.

The first half-chance fell to Soham’s Ben Seymour-Shove, whose curling shot from the edge of the box was easily held by Histon keeper Sam Roach.

Alfie Connor then drove over for the visitors from the edge of the area.

The deadlock was broken by Soham in the 20th minute.

They dispossessed Histon in attack, and then Seymour-Shove sent a long ball through for Sam Bennett to beat the offside trap, and he produced a smart finish into the top of the net from just inside the box.

Soham got on top in a territorial sense, without being able to force Roach into action.

The game swung round in four minutes towards the end of the half.

An exquisite driven cross from the left byline by Bahador Chizari was met with a header by Ulijah Gordon-Douglas from close range to draw Histon level in the 37th minute.

Then, a pass out from the back was seized upon by the hard-working Luke Lindsay, who delivered a delicious lob over Soham keeper Finley Iron to give Histon a half-time lead.

There was much more of an end-to-end nature in the second half.

Josh Dawkin fired over the bar inside the area for Histon and then Gordon-Douglas had a header straight at Iron.

Soham were threatening at the other end, and Stutes captain Evan Key had to head clear underneath his own bar.

The visitors had their equaliser in the 63rd minute.

Weak possession was given up in the midfield by Histon, and Seymour-Shove drove forward before despatching a shot into the bottom corner.

Having made it 2-2, Soham stepped up the pressure to find a winner.

Declan Rogers’ deflected effort was easily saved by Roach, but they had a third in the 75th in slightly fortuitous fashion.

On the counter-attack, they got into the Stutes’ box and Seymour-Shove cut in off the left and, attempting to find the opposite corner of the net, his shot took a wicked deflection into the net.

Histon struggled to create an clear-cut chances on goal to make it 3-3.

They were lucky not to go further behind when Lloyd Groves headed a corner wide at the back post.

But Soham wrapped up the win in the 90th minute, when Ollie Ward got free in the box to slide the ball underneath Roach at the front post to seal a 4-2 win.

Histon: Roach, Lawal, Collison, Dawkin, Key, Brookes, Lindsay, Stevens-Lee, Gordon-Douglas, Wilkinson, Chizari.

Substitutes: Cole (Chizari, 67), Bisong (Stevens-Lee, 76), Greengress (Lawal, 76). Not used: Greengrass, Medd.

Soham Town Rangers: Iron, Rhaman, Olive, Connor, Groves, Watson, Bennett, Auger, Mason, Rogers, Seymour-Shove.

Substitutes: Andrews (Mason, 71), Ward (Auger, 71), Carden (Seymour-Shove, 77). Not used: Mulready, Sulman.

Referee: Thomas Whay.

Bookings: Cambridge United - Gordon-Douglas (unsporting behaviour, 53); Soham - Bennett (foul, 27min).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More