Home   Sport   Article

Jabo Ibehre sends Cambridge United to FA Cup victory over Sutton United

Jabo Ibehre scored for Cambridge United against Sutton United.
Jabo Ibehre scored for Cambridge United against Sutton United.

U's battle to overcome red card for George Maris

Jabo Ibehre was the matchwinner as 10-man Cambridge United progress to the second round of the FA Cup with a 1-0 win over Sutton United.

It was an end-to-end first half at the Cambs Glass Stadium, without many clear-cut chances until the final stages of the 45 minutes.

Jevani Brown had the first effort in anger, firing over from 25 yards and then Uche Ikpeazu had an effort go just wide from the edge of the box.

Sutton were enjoying a bit of pressure without really looking to threatening, with Tommy Wright’s shot from distance comfortably held by David Forde.

A key moment of the half arrived in the 17th minute as George Maris was booked for a foul on Louis Jean.

Jabo Ibehre headed over the bar in the 33rd minute, and Maris was within a whisker of giving the hosts the lead in the 39th minute.

But a minute later, Maris was shown a red card after receiving a second caution, for diving.

However, the U’s took the lead on 44 minutes as Brown’s dipping volley from the edge of the area cannoned back off the bar and fell to Ibehre, whose sidefoot volley found the bottom corner.

There was a scare for the hosts though on the stroke of half time as Craig Dundas headed Aswad Thomas’ cross from the left over, when he really should have done better.

United had to weather a lot of Sutton territory and pressure in the second half, but they seldom looked under too much pressure, with the defence standing firm.

Sutton almost made the perfect start to the second half though, with Kieron Cadogan firing in a shot from the right-hand corner of the area that rocketed against the stanchion of the post and bar.

Ibehre almost added to his and United’s tally, hammering an effort on 65 minutes that hit the inside of the bar and bounced back across goal, nearly evading Ikpeazu.

Sutton’s best chance went to Ross Lafayette, but his flicked effort after a good run by Anthony Jeffrey was held by Forde.

Ikpeazu’s curling effort from the edge of the area was pushed clear by Sutton goalkeeper Jamie Butler at full stretch.

And deep into injury time, Forde was at it at the other end, splendidly denying an effort from Sutton substitute Adam Coombes that seemed destined for the back of the net.

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Legge, Taylor, Carroll, O’Neil, Maris, Mingoia, Brown, Ibehre, Ikpeazu.

Substitutes: Lewis (Mingoia, 81), Dunk (Brown, 88), Taft (Carroll, 90+3). Not used: Mitov, Dunk, Taft, Elito, Davies, Foy.

Sutton: Butler, Collins, Beckwith, Collins, Thomas, Cadogan, Bailey, Davis, Taylor, Dundas, Wright.

Substitutes: Lafayette (Bailey, 27), Jeffrey (Taylor, 63), Coombes (Thomas, 82). Not used: Brown, Spence, Downer.

Referee: Darren Handley.

Bookings: Cambridge United – Maris (foul, 17); Sutton – Lafayette (dissent, 86).

Red card: Cambridge United – Maris (second yellow card, 40).

Attendance: 3,070 (away 468).


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More