Home   Sport   Article

Jimmy Wood fires Cambridge South IV to brink of the title

By CambridgeIndependent Reporter

Ed Boggis was on target for Cambridge South III.
Ed Boggis was on target for Cambridge South III.

Victory over Ely City II brings championship closer

Two goals from Jimmy Wood helped Cambridge South IV to a 3-1 win over Ely City II and the brink of the East Men’s League, Division 6NW (S) title.

He outpaced the hosts’ defence to slide home from a narrow angle to open the scoring, only for Ely to equalise on the counter attack.

Dave Monck’s penalty corner made it 2-1 to South by half time, and Wood got his second after the break, pouncing on a rebound. South need one point from their remaining four games to be crowned champions.

Andy Thomas got the only goal of this game midway through the second-half as Cambridge South V won 1-0 against St Ives V in 6NW (S).

Roddy Tippen, Will Routledge and Ned O’Hearn were on target for Cambridge City VI as they won 3-2 against Kettering II in 5NW.

Rupert Waters bagged a brace of goals for Cambridge City V as they won 2-1 against Bourne Deeping VI in 4NW.

Unmarked Waters put City ahead after five minutes, but with 10 minutes remaining, Bourne equalised.

However, with two minutes left on the clock, Waters got a slight touch on a shot from Hugh Bucknall to earn City all three points.

A late goal saw Cambridge South III lose 2-1 to St Ives II in 4NW.

Owen Russell and Ed Boggis combined for the latter to open the scoring for South with a spectacular volley, and then Toby Watson twice went close to extending the lead.

St Ives equalised and then got the winning goal 10 minutes from full time.

Cambridge South suffered a frustrating afternoon as they were beaten 2-0 by East London II in 2S.

Injuries to Harry Lewis and Bhav Virdi hindered South’s hopes, with East London proving difficult to break down and then scoring from a penalty corner and a penalty flick.

South still need a couple more wins to secure their 2S safety.

Late goals from Brighton & Hove condemned Cambridge City to a 3-2 defeat in Men’s Hockey League, Conference East.

Sam Mee had put City ahead but they were pegged back by Joe Naughalty equalised.

Euan Gilmour restored City’s lead in the second half, but Brighton responded with two more goals to win 3-2.

The result sees City lose ground at the top of the table.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More