Home   Sport   Article

Late rally sees Shelford beaten by Tunbridge Wells

By CambridgeIndependent Reporter

Shelford scrum-half Ross Kevan. Picture: Cat Goryn.
Shelford scrum-half Ross Kevan. Picture: Cat Goryn.

Difficult start on the road

Shelford made a losing start to their National League Three, London & SE season with a 39-19 reversal at Tunbridge Wells.

After arriving late to the ground, Shelford were on the back foot from the off against the newly-promoted side.

Tunbridge had hooker Luke Hawkins sin-binned for a high tackle after four minutes, but a try from Dylan Barkas, converted by Frank Reynolds, gave them the lead two minutes later.

Shelford winger Charlie Parkhouse got away on his debut to score on the counter attack to reduce the arrears.

But a five-minute period for Tunbridge saw them go 17-5 ahead, and another converted try made it 24-5 after 38 minutes.

Ross Kevan, who joined Shelford this summer, threw a dummy before touching down, and Josh Simmons landed the conversion to make it 24-12 at half time.

Grant Anderson, who has returned after a sabbatical, scored under the posts after 66 minutes, and Simmons converted to make it 24-19.

But a penalty and two breakaway tries saw Tunbridge seal a 39-19 win.

Shelford host Hertford this Saturday (September 9).


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More