Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Maddie Axford goal sees Cambridge City Ladies sign off for winter break with Sevenoaks draw in Investec Women's Hockey League, Division One South

Katie Curtis in action for Cambridge City Ladies against Sevenoaks. Picture: Kim Butler (23244897)
Katie Curtis in action for Cambridge City Ladies against Sevenoaks. Picture: Kim Butler (23244897)

Cambridge City stretched their unbeaten run to three games after coming from behind to draw with Sevenoaks in the Investec Women’s Hockey League, Division One South last Saturday.

There was not much to separate the sides prior to the match, with City sitting fourth in the league table, their opponents one place beneath them in fifth.

On an icy Wilberforce Road pitch, it was the hosts who started the game brightly. Victoria Methven danced her way through the Sevenoaks defence only for the goalkeeper to smother the ball at her feet.

Into the second quarter and the game opened up in what was a fast-paced encounter.

City shot-stopper Polly Oakman denied Sevenoaks from taking the lead twice in quick succession, palming two penalty corners away from the goalmouth.

However, despite Oakman’s best efforts to keep the scores level, it was the away side who opened the scoring. Sevenoaks worked a penalty corner well, playing the ball to the back post for Claire Wallace to tap home.

The slippery surface played its part though as the onrushing City defence fell in trying to prevent the cross.

City dominated proceedings after half time and got their rewards nine minutes in when Maddie Axford’s low drive across the keeper made it 1-1.

The hosts sensed a victory as the pressure began to tell on the Sevenoaks defence.

Heidi Baber charged down the right and played the ball across to Sally Bradley who could not put City ahead. Holly Sheehan also had a good chance to win it with less than 10 minutes to play, but she failed to convert too.

The tired bodies of City withstood some late Sevenoaks pressure as the match finished 1-1, leaving the hosts fourth in the table.

Emily Davies in action for Cambridge City Ladies against Sevenoaks. Picture: Kim Butler (23244891)
Emily Davies in action for Cambridge City Ladies against Sevenoaks. Picture: Kim Butler (23244891)

Four different scorers saw Cambridge South make it 11 wins out of 11 with a 4-0 victory over City IV in East Women’s League, Division 2NW.

Abi Jewkes’ swift reactions to a rebound saw her put South ahead, and Kim Cooil’s defence-splitting pass put Laura Ludlow through to make
it 2-0.

Skipper Robyn McLean made it 3-0 through a penalty stroke before half time, and Katie Gibson’s reverse-stick strike completed the win.

It was groundhog day for South II as they lost 1-0 to East London IV
in 3S.

Not for the first time this season, they had the better of the general play, forced multiple saves from the keeper but could not score.

Izzy MacDonald-Parry, Jess Foord, Flix Renny and Eimear Lee were all thwarted as player-of-the-match Rebecca Frith linked well in midfield but East London got the winning goal five minutes from time.

Jasmine Ong struck twice as leaders Cambridge South III fought back from a goal down to beat Saffron Walden III 3-2 in East League, 4NW (S).

Walden opened the scoring in the first half on the counter-attack, and South had to wait until after the break to equalise, with Kirsty Dick firing home after a goalmouth scramble.

Ong got two close-range finishes to make it 3-1, with Walden grabbing a consolation second late on.

Cambridge City VI’s drew 0-0 with Ely II in 4NW (S) in what was quite a family affair for the Richardsons.

Mother Sarah played alongside daughters Olivia and Anna, while father Andy umpired a game that also featured five girls from Bottisham Village College.

It was a game fought out in midfield, although Ely’s Charlotte Dobson and Gemma Neal caused City problems and the hosts created chances they were unable to convert.

Lucy Davidson wrapped up the scoring as South IV won the intra-club derby against South V in 5NW (S).

The midfield combination of Zara Bradley, Lizzie Parker and player-of-the-match Katie Hunter set up Naomi Gibson to get the ball rolling and Tess Skyrme made it 2-0 through a penalty corner strike.

South V player-of-the-match Hannah Price drove them forward after half time, but they could not beat keeper Bryony Brown, and Davidson finished the 3-0 win with an individual effort.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More