Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Ollie Townsend and Danny Richards touch down hat-tricks in Cantabrigian win over Wisbech

More news, no ads


Adam Fastnedge scored Cantabs' final try against Wisbech. Picture: Keith Heppell
Adam Fastnedge scored Cantabs' final try against Wisbech. Picture: Keith Heppell

Cantabrigian made up for lost time by beating Wisbech 70-0 in London League Three Eastern Counties.

They last played a month ago, but were determined to maintain a winning run that went back to the second game of the season.

It took them just three minutes to open the scoring, with captain Danny Richards getting their first try of 2020 after being driven over at the scrum. Finlay Laing landed the conversion.

A catch and drive from a line-out led to Laing peeling off the back for the second try, which he also converted.

Tom Bailey touched down out wide to make it 19-0, and the four-try bonus point was in the bag after 22 minutes as Drew Tilley found a rampaging Ollie Townsend to touch down.

Fergus Wilson was sin binned for Cantabs, but they made it 31-0 at half time as Townsend reacted to a charged down kick to score in the corner.

At the start of the second half, a grubber kick by Richards bounced into the arms of Townsend to complete his hat-trick to make it 36-0.

There was a spell where the game went to uncontested scrums, but Cantabs were soon back in scoring mode.

Richards completed his hat-trick with tries numbers seven and eight within a minute of each other.

Wilson was next on the scoresheet, and then Finn Morrison put the finishing touch to the next sweeping move.

Francois Eve created the next from his own 22, with the ball going through 10 hands to find Ben Tozer by the posts, and Laing converted.

Tilley’s barnstorming run created the final try for Adam Fastnedge to make it 70-0.

Cantabs are away to Beccles this Saturday (January 18).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More